Travel

Capella St.

Pin
Send
Share
Send


Roman catholic church
Basilica of St. Anthony
Basilica di Sant'Antonio di Padova

Gattamelate Monument Basilica
45 ° 24′05 ″ s w. 11 ° 52′50 ″ c. d. H G I O L
A country Italy
TownPadua
DenominationCatholicism
DioceseDiocese of Padua
Architectural styleRenaissance
Established1238
Building1232-1310 years
conditionActive temple
Sitebasilicadelsanto.org/ita...
Wikimedia Commons Media Files

Basilica of St. Anthony (Italian: Basilica Pontificia di Sant'Antonio di Padova) - a Catholic church in the city of Padova (Italy), a monument of architecture, the main center of veneration of St. Anthony of Padua. The largest church in size and number of pilgrims in Padua, although not cathedral. It is owned and operated by the Vatican.

Architecture

The construction of the church began a year after the death of the saint, in 1232, and lasted 78 years. Some changes and reconstructions were also made in the XIV and XV centuries.

The temple was painted by many artists, including Alticiero da Dzevio, Jacopo d’Avanzo, Stefano da Ferrara, Girolamo Tessari and others. Niccolo Pizzolo worked on the sculptural compositions of the temple.

St. Anthony, according to his will, was buried in a small church Santa maria mater domini (supposedly dated to the end of the XII century), near which in 1229 he founded the monastery. This church was later incorporated into the basilica as Chapel della madonna mora (Italian: Cappella della Madonna Mora, Chapel of the Dark Madonna).

Architecture

Three-naved basilica, the main altar is located in the presbytery of the central nave. The side naves at the apse close into a semicircle in which 9 chapels were constructed in the form of rays (the so-called crown of chapels). In the central chapel of the deambulatory there is a magnificent baroque relics chapel (architect Filippo Parodi) - a rich collection of Christian shrines and masterpieces of Italian jewelry.

In its current state, the basilica is extremely eclectic, combining the legacy of several building phases, from the Gothic interior of the original temple to the baroque chapel of relics built by one of Bernini's students. Following the model of the Venetian San Marco, the cathedral is crowned with five wide domes borrowed by Italians from the repertoire of Byzantine architecture. Belfries resembling minarets are attached to the domes.

In one of the chapels of the basilica is the tomb of the Padua ruler Gattamelata, and in front of the entrance to the church stands the famous equestrian statue of Gattamelata by Donatello.

Photo and description

The chapel of St. Anthony is part of the medieval castle of Herzoghof. It was built at the beginning of the XVIII century, but at the beginning of the XX century it, like the entire architectural complex, was completely destroyed and rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style.

This place has a rich history - the ancient Herzoghof castle was considered the residence of the Babenbergs themselves, the first princely dynasty in all of Austria. In 1420, this castle was combined with the main city fortress, located to the west of the parish church of St. Stephen.

In 1673, the castle passed into the hands of the land marshal - the chairman of parliament - Count von Sprinsenstein and his family. After 10 years, the fortress was badly damaged by Turkish troops, and, probably, therefore, after the restoration at the beginning of the XVIII century, it was decided to erect a separate chapel in the castle dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. Construction was completed in 1708. Then the castle already belonged to Countess von Lamberg, and the coats of arms of this noble family, depicting a white lamb on top of a hill, adorned the walls of the building. And in the southern part of the ancient chapel there was a sundial.

In 1876, in the immediate vicinity of the castle, a large hotel “At the Green Tree” was erected, which required the demolition of many neighboring ancient buildings. And in 1908-1909 the castle of Herzoghoff itself was completely destroyed, including the chapel of St. Anthony. The entire architectural complex was rebuilt in the art nouveau style - the German version of the modernist direction. Now the chapel is located at the very entrance to the castle.

It was possible to preserve the interior design of the chapel, made mainly in the Baroque style. It is worth noting the luxurious altar of light gilded wood, decorated with a canopy and graceful columns. A lot of carved wooden sculptures of the 18th century, depicting various saints, including the patron saint of the church, St. Anthony, were still preserved in the chapel.

Photos around Antoniuskapelle im Herzoghof

You have chosen in the directory of maps and objects MAPS.ME: the Antoniuskapelle im Herzoghof temple at the address: Austria, Lower Austria, Baden from 651222 objects. You can download the MAPS.ME application for your Android or iOS mobile device and build a route to the Antoniuskapelle im Herzoghof temple object, or to the nearest objects:

  • Stadtpfarrkirche,
  • Kreuzkapelle,
  • Frauenkirche,
  • Frauenkirche,
  • Kreuzkapelle,
  • Stadtpfarrkirche.
You might be interested in other subsections of the attractions catalog, such as object catalogs: tomb, tourist attraction, castle, temple, memorial, altar, observation deck, synagogue, monument, museum or mosque

Photo

Anthony Chapel in Ellwangen is a structure that is located in the Schweizheim district on the federal state of Baden-Wünteberg. It was donated to residents by the owner of local brick factories, Anton Friedrich Ziegler and his wife Margaret.

The building was built in 1692, on May 20, 1729 it was consecrated. The chapel bears the name of St. Anthony of Padua. The interior contains images of this saint. So on the ceiling fresco depicts scenes from the legend of St. Anton. The altar, created in the years 1773-1774, is made of faience of the Schweizheimer porcelain factory. Its construction was carried out by Johann Martin Mutschel.

The faience manufactory of the altar is a masterpiece of the highest European level. In the niche is a colored wooden sculpture of the Madonna. Winged cherubs, scrolls and rocailles complete the work of art.

Wiki: de: Antoniuskapelle (Schrezheim)

Anthony Chapel in Ellwangen - description, coordinates, photos, reviews and the opportunity to find this place in Baden-Württemberg (Germany). Find out where it is, how to get there, see what's interesting around. Check out other places on our interactive map, get more detailed information. Get to know the world better.

Pin
Send
Share
Send