Assumption Cathedral in Vitebsk - a temple in Vitebsk, an architectural monument of Vilno baroque on the Assumption Hill. During the construction, the temple of San Carlo al Corso in Rome was taken as a model. The architect is I. Fontana.
It was built in 1743-1777 as a Uniate temple. Orthodox Cathedral since 1799.
Blown up and destroyed to the ground in 1936 by the Soviet government.
It was recreated at the beginning of the XXI century by the Orthodox Church. The rank of the great consecration of the cathedral on September 30, 2011 was headed by the Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Metropolitan of Minsk and Slutsk Filaret (Vakhromeev). Among the bishops who served him was the Archbishop of Novgorod and Starorussky Leo (Tserpitsky), the son of a Vitebsk priest.
Description of Attraction
The modern Holy Assumption Cathedral was built recently - in 2011. The prototype of the monastery was the Assumption Cathedral of the 18th century, which was blown up by order of Soviet authorities in the fall of 1934. At the site of the cathedral, the workshop of the grinding machine factory was built. In 1998, the plant was demolished, and in its place began to rebuild a new cathedral. During excavation, the remains of hundreds of people were discovered. The investigation established several versions, one of them - the remains belong to the victims of the fascist Gestapo. The consecration of the Holy Assumption Cathedral took place on September 30, 2011. Today the temple is open to all comers, church services are held here.
Holy Intercession Cathedral
Holy Intercession Cathedral - a temple in the style of classicism, located in Vitebsk. It is an Orthodox church and architectural monument of the XIX century.
The cathedral was created in 1814. After 33 years, the monastery was closed, and later transferred to the Orthodox department and reconstructed as a church for the Orthodox. Subsequently, the construction began to be called the Intercession Church.
In the 30s of the XX century, the Soviet authorities closed the temple again. During the years of German occupation, only a few cathedrals resumed work. Holy Protection Church was one of the first to open its doors.
Now there is a parish library, icon painting and tailoring workshops, a sisterhood, a refectory, and also a Sunday school at the temple. The pride of the townspeople is that the Cathedral was painted by the famous icon painter V. A. Sidelnikov, a member of the Russian Union of Artists, who was able to masterfully convey the strength and spirit of this shrine.
Holy Assumption Cathedral
Holy Assumption Cathedral
Holy Assumption Cathedral
The modern Holy Assumption Cathedral was built recently - in 2011. The prototype of the monastery was the Assumption Cathedral of the 18th century, which was blown up by order of Soviet authorities in the fall of 1934. At the site of the cathedral, the workshop of the grinding machine factory was built.
In 1998, the plant was demolished, and in its place began to rebuild a new cathedral. During excavation, the remains of hundreds of people were discovered. The investigation established several versions, one of them - the remains belong to the victims of the fascist Gestapo.
The consecration of the Holy Assumption Cathedral took place on September 30, 2011. Today the temple is open to all comers, church services are held here.
Vitebsk: useful information
- City Information
- Map of Vitebsk
- Where to go
- Attractions (28)
- Parks (5)
- Temples, churches, mosques (7)
- Museums (6)
- Zoos (1)
- Theaters (3)
- Festivals, holidays, shows (1)
- Castles, palaces (1)
- Railway stations (1)
- Squares (1)
- Bridges (2)
- Bus stations (1)
- Airports (1)
- Book a hotel in Vitebsk
- Search and book cheap flights
- Tourists reviews
- Photos of Vitebsk
- Excursions in Vitebsk
|Bus||Ost. Drama Theater, Nos. 1, 10, 14, 2, 22, 26, 26a, 2a, 3, 31, 32, 33, 34, 36.4, 43, 7, 8, 99|
|Bus||Ost. "Town Hall", Nos. 1, 106, 106a, 11, 12, 15, 15a, 19, 2, 25, 26, 26a, 2a, 30, 41, 42, 43, 6|
|Trolley bus||Ost. Drama Theater, Nos. 1, 10, 3, 5, 6|
|Trolley bus||Ost. “Town Hall”, Nos. 2, 4, 7, 8, 9|
|Route taxi||Ost. Drama Theater, No. 1-t, 32-t, 3-t, 55-t, 56-t, 57-t, 59-t, 64-t, 66-t, 75-t, 76-t, 77-t, 94-t, 99-t|
|Route taxi||Ost. "Town Hall", No. 15-t, 1-t, 42-t, 52-t, 53-t, 54-t, 64-t, 66-t, 6-t, 72-t, 73-t, 88-t|
Holy Assumption Cathedral in Vitebsk is the main Orthodox church, a place of pilgrimage and a popular tourist attraction. It is located in the historical part of the city and rises on Assumption Mountain, from where an excellent view of the banks of the Western Dvina and the surrounding area opens. The total height of the temple is 51.4 m. Of the two dozen bells, the largest weighs about 5 tons (Belarus record).
The modern building was restored in the 2010s. modeled on an 18th-century cathedral that was destroyed in 1936.
The first mention of the cathedral in a historical document dates back to the beginning of the 15th century: according to the apostate record, lands and people went to the Church of the Most Holy Theotokos. Then the mountain was called Lysa (a reference to the pagan past), as well as Prechistenskaya. A little later, at the beginning of the 16th century, a new cathedral church appears in honor of the Assumption of the Virgin, and the mountain, accordingly, becomes simply the Assumption.
In 1619, the church was handed over to the Uniates, and Iosafat Kuntsevich was appointed archbishop, who settled in a house adjacent to the temple. It was here that during the Vitebsk uprising of the townspeople of 1623, residents, dissatisfied with the harsh planting of Uniate, killed the archbishop, threw his body from the mountain, and completely destroyed the temple. After the unrest, 20 conspirators were executed, and the church was dismantled by stones and rebuilt. According to other sources, the temple burned down in 1629, in 1636 a new one was erected in its place. After 50 years, it became dilapidated, and in 1743, according to the project of the Italian Joseph Fontan, a new, brick, Assumption Church was laid. The construction was completed in 1777, in 1799 the church became Orthodox. In 1804, a dome appeared on the cathedral.
The tragic story of the Holy Assumption Cathedral in Vitebsk does not end there. After the revolutionary events of October 1917, it was closed, then declared republican property, and in 1936 it was completely blown up. In 1949, a factory floor was built in its place, which in the 1980s. fell into decay and was abandoned. In 1998, the factory building was demolished, then the first stone was laid in the foundation of the future cathedral.
Restoration work began in 2003 and continued until the spring of 2011, when it was finished. In September, the temple was consecrated.
Today the Assumption Cathedral in Vitebsk is the most famous religious building, visible from many points of the historic city center.
Pushkin Bridge, thrown over the Vitba River, running along the Frunze Park, will lead to Castle Square and the Yakub Kolas Drama Theater.
There are two ways to get to the cathedral. The first is to wail at the Drama Theater stop and walk along the picturesque Pushkin Street, past the square dedicated to the poet, the monument, through the bridge named after the "sun of Russian poetry", and then climb the stairs to the mountain. The second is to get off at the “Town Hall” stop and turn onto Tolstoy Street, bypassing the church of Anthony Roman and the monument to Prince Olgerd.