Crimea is especially proud and treasures with such monumental constructions as Dacha Kichkine because of their exclusivity, mannerism of inimitable architectural style and considerable importance for the peninsula as a whole, and not just one of its regions. The appearance of the palace, which has become the last real estate acquired by representatives of the imperial family here, amazes and captivates with its beauty and sophistication of forms, leaving an unforgettable impression on those who visited it.
In architectural terms, the ensemble is closest to the east. He absorbed the whole flavor and grace of Muslim buildings of the XVI-XVIII centuries, but the building style itself is attributed to the so-called "pseudo-Moorish". Drowning in the greenery of centennial cypress trees, the mansion fully lives up to its name - "baby", having a relatively small size, but being at the same time a monument with cultural and historical significance.
The history of the construction of the cottage-palace
The place for the construction of a small estate was noticed by the Grand Duke Dmitry Konstantinovich Romanov, who bought in 1912 from the Society of Russian Doctors a tiny summer cottage Ai-Nikola with the same small piece of land. The house was built by the famous actor of that time Sazonov, who appeared on the stages of many Imperial theaters.
Immediately after the purchase, it was demolished and the construction of the Kichkina dacha, named so princely representative, was started. The Tarasov brothers were engaged in the construction, but Nikolay Georgievich, who until then was the chief architect of Yalta, was in charge of everything. At the same time, a team of local botanists from the Nikitinsky Botanical Garden, led by Kalaida, set up a miniature park around the erected palace.
The construction was completed in the same 1912 - in record time, but actually lasted until 1914. Over the past 100 years, as can be seen from the old photo, Dacha Kichkine almost did not change. In 1913, D.K. Romanov donated the estate to Tatyana and her husband, Prince Konstantin Alexandrovich Bagration-Mukhransky.
But Dmitry nevertheless did not live long in his brainchild - in 1916-1917, being at that time seriously ill, blind and helpless, in need of outside care. He left the palace in January 1917, having left for Petrograd, where he arrived on the eve of the February Revolution. He will never return to Crimea.
After the October Revolution and the Civil War, the estate of the Romanovs was confiscated from the previous owners by the new Soviet authorities, and the tsar's relatives with two children hastily left him. Nationalization contributed to the fact that the cottage for a long time remained unadapted and gradually began to fall into desolation, until in the late 1920s. of the last century, a camp site intended for rest of the commanding staff of the Red Army was not placed in it. During World War II, the new owner was the commander of the Army Group South, Erich von Manstein, who captured Crimea. Dacha Kichkine was presented to him personally by the Fuhrer for his merits.
Here was the headquarters of the German army, and in 1944, when the peninsula was liberated, it was badly damaged by shelling - the interior decoration, almost all the original furniture, was damaged or destroyed. After the war, the palace was in miserable condition for a long time, until it was repaired and reopened as a camp site.
Description of the palace and its features
Throughout the entire Soviet period of history, the former estate of members of the royal family remained in distress. Restoration was not carried out until the mid 80-ies., And the work done in 1985-1986. It’s hard to call restoration or any restoration. Rather, they carried out a thorough repair.
No funds were found to restore either in the 90s or at the beginning of this century. In order not to lose the architectural monument forever, it was handed over to the investor in 2011, who turned the cottage into a luxurious, fashionable hotel “Kichkine”. It was completely restored and returned to its original appearance. Now this beautiful building shines with freshness and whiteness, as immediately after construction - for the first time in almost 70 years.
What is interesting for visiting Kichkine Dacha?
First of all, it attracts her original pseudo-Moorish architectural style, born as a result of bold experiments. He meets the romantic trends of the early twentieth century, which at that time were in special honor among the nobility. In the photo, Dacha Kichkine is often not able to discover her true beauty. This understanding is achieved only during a personal tour of the sights of Yalta, which adorned and made Gaspra almost a pilgrimage place for modern tourists.
But still, the most picturesque Kichkine Palace in Crimea looks when viewed from the side, standing out by snow-white Gothic towers against the background of the emerald greenery of the surrounding cypresses. The best view for viewing is considered to be the eastern one - from the sea and especially the Royal Road, where visitors often take photos as a keepsake.
On the territory of the mansion is also the museum "Residence of Prince Romanov." The items on display belong to Grand Duke Romanov and cause no less interest among visitors than anything else. Here is a staircase carved into the rock, steeply going down to the coast of the sea. And a small but excellent park with shady avenues of cypress trees, with a balustrade and a viewing platform, which offers a bewitching view of Yalta and its surroundings.
How to get to the mansion?
To get to the cottage Kichkine from Yalta, you can use public or private transport. Having chosen the first option, you need to take the bus number 32, departing "Streets Morskoy". You should exit at the eloquent stop “Kichkine Camp”, from which you will have to walk another 100 m.
By car, you can get from the center of Yalta in 20 minutes, on the map the route looks like this:
- Address: Alupkinskoye highway, 1, Gaspra town, Yalta urban district, Crimea, Russia.
- Coordinates: 44 ° 26′15 ″ N (44.437476), 34 ° 7′50 ″ E (34.130687).
- Phones: +7 (495) 204-10-62, +7 (978) 04-00-061.
- Official website: http://hotel-kichkine.ru
- Opening hours: from 9:00 to 18:00.
- Prices for the visit: 75 rubles.
Being on the southern coast of Crimea, do not be too lazy to visit the Kichkine Palace - paying real pennies, you will get a lot of positive emotions from a visit to this princely place! Finally, we offer you to watch a short video about this attraction of Yalta, or rather its surroundings.
Livadia: useful information
|Bus||rest “Kichkine Palace”, No. 132, 102|
|Motorway||through w Sevastopol / T2709 /|
Near Yalta, on the southern coast of Crimea, is the resort Miskhor, which is a coastline that stretches for 9 km. On its territory is the village of Livadia, it is there that you can find the local monument of history and culture - Kichkine Palace, which in Tatar means "small palace".
The palace is located on a cliff right next to the sea and resembles a precious box surrounded by mountains and sea surface. Visitors to this place begin to feel like heroes of Scheherazade’s fairy tales, plunging into the grandeur of a miniature castle and admiring the graceful turrets, a toothed balustrade and a minaret mast with an original oriental style script over the entrance.
At one time, the place belonged to the grandson of Nicholas I, Grand Duke Dmitry Konstantinovich Romanov, and to this day it has retained a large number of past stories.
Kichkine Palace is recognized as one of the pearls of the Crimean palace art of the XIX – XX centuries. The construction was erected on one of the slopes of Cape Ai-Todor near the estate of the same name and the village of Gaspra. The architectural creation has miniature, but at the same time luxurious forms and gravitates to the oriental style. The place has absorbed all the color and grace of Muslim buildings of the XVI – XVIII centuries, experts consider the style of the estate the so-called “pseudo-Moorish”.
Along with the grandeur of the palace, the beauty of the Kichkine park zone and its placement on a picturesque rock quite often is emphasized. Near the palace there is a whole garden where a variety of trees grow, of particular age-old cypress trees.
Kichkin Palace History
Grand Duke Dmitry Konstantinovich purchased a plot of land on the southern coast of Crimea in the spring of 1912 with the aim of further erecting a miniature palace near the very shore of the sea. To do this, the manager of his affairs, A. V. Korochentsev, bought from the Yalta branch of the Society of Russian Doctors a small building, Ai Nikola. Previously, it was owned by the famous artist of the Imperial Theaters N. F. Sazonov, later it was bought by the Society to expand the “Climate Colony for Weak and Sick Children”. Seeing the tiny estate, the prince immediately gave him a new name Kichkine.
The future owner did not want to see as his residence something luxurious and large. He needed an unusual miniature-sized palace-house with a secluded house for “non-parasitic” living, a small garden, and, most importantly, all these buildings should have been convenient not only for him, but also for his nephews. Choosing a place for the future palace, Dmitry Konstantinovich rejected the two proposed sites located in an ideal and safe place for life. It was a small cottage, which stood on the slope of a steep cliff, that attracted his attention.
To translate his ideas into practice, the prince turned to the company of brothers-architects from Yalta named Tarasov, who took up the design of the palace, and also designed a guest house, outbuildings, a garage and retaining walls. The customer expressed a desire to supplement the project by equipping it with a small personal house, from which a passage in the form of a gallery stretched to the main house. As the most important clarification, the prince announced the required number of rooms - they should have accommodated all members of the family of his brother Konstantin Konstantinovich.
V. G. Tarasov stood at the head of the construction work, his brother N. G. Tarasov acted as the author of the palace complex project, and A. G. Tarasov took over the decoration of the premises. Due to the location of the palace and other buildings almost on the edge of the cliff, security was given the most attention. As a result, each wall of the building was erected in arshin width, reinforced concrete structures were used for floors and ceilings, and additional protection was constructed under the floor in the form of a wide concrete base.
In 1914–1915, a storm drain system was designed, and at about the same time, the appearance of the palace began to take shape.
Due to the fact that part of the work was not completed by the deadline indicated by the owner of the house, the Department of Affairs of D.K. Romanov turned to the famous Yalta architect L.N. Shapovalov, who was also the author of the project and took part in the construction, to complete the construction. the construction of the "White Cottage" A.P. Chekhov. It was he who built the beautifully designed marble staircase-descent to the sea, and also, together with the sculptor from Feodosia L.V. Korzhinovsky, finished decorating the front door and was engaged in the facades of the palace, complementing them with stucco ornaments in the oriental style. Along the stairs erected summer arbors in the form of grottoes.
Thanks to joint efforts at the end of 1913 the construction of the palace was completed. Its first inhabitants were the niece of Prince Romanov and her family. Dmitry Konstantinovich himself lived in the mansion for only two months.
In the fall of 1914, a garden with flower beds was finally formed, spread out along the perimeter of the palace, and a miniature park. Gardeners A. Aul and P. Palitsin were involved in the estate, also a famous specialist in subtropical cultures F. Kalaydy was invited from the Imperial Nikitsky Botanical Garden. The placement of paths in the park, the creation of sites and flower beds, as well as the selection of trees and beautifully flowering plants, were carried out taking into account his recommendations. The garden was planted with oaks, different species of cypresses, strawberries, palm trees and turpentine trees.
Now few people know this, but Dmitry Konstantinovich had a great desire to build a temple near Kichkine. Several project documents and the Prince’s correspondence with the architect from St. Petersburg E.I. Gruzhevsky have been preserved. They represented the future shrine in a very original way: in the Crimean coastal zone, not a cathedral in the East Byzantine style, which would be expected to be found here, was to be rebuilt, but a church similar to the ancient Pskov shrines. She had to have a simple form, decorative elements in her appearance would be absent. But the financial difficulties of the prince forced to postpone the construction for the future, which has not come.
The next owner of the house-palace was Prince Nikolai Nikolaevich Jr., he was known as a military figure before the October Revolution.
Despite the attempts of the estate manager L. I. Kolchev to save the place, as well as agree with the authorities, the idea failed. Shortly after the arrest and execution of the prince in 1919, the palace was nationalized. Due to nationalization, the place remained unsuitable for a long time and slowly began to desolate until it was transferred to the needs of a tourist base in the late 1920s.
During the Great Patriotic War, a recreational complex was located on the estate, later it became a haven for the command post of the 11th German army. After some time, Hitler presented the palace to Field Marshal Erich von Manstein. In 1944, during the liberation of the peninsula, the palace was significantly damaged by shelling, which led to damage and destruction of the interior decoration and almost all of the original furniture. After the war ended, the estate was in miserable condition for a long time, later it was repaired.
During the Soviet Union, a recreation center of the Ministry of Defense was opened on the territory of the Kichkine Palace, and a dining room was placed in the former halls of the estate.
The decoration of Kichkine Palace
The architectural style of the palace house gravitated to eclecticism, in which there was a mixture of traditional palace and castle forms with East Arabic motifs, including minaret towers and murals. The Arabic style was used for the lobby of the palace, its large and small dining rooms, the reception room was designed in the style of Louis XVI, and the empire style decorated the large living room. All the halls were richly sculpted with elaborate ornamentation, and the walls of Dmitry Konstantinovich’s rooms were decorated with carved wood panels.
Furniture and chandeliers fit perfectly into the decoration style of some of the rooms, which were saved in 1881 from a fire in the Oreanda Palace, and then were deposited in Strelninsky and Marble palaces. At the request of Dmitry Konstantinovich, they were transported to the Crimea to become part of Kichkine's furniture. For example, the Orendan living room was equipped with a magnificent rococo set in pink wood with bronze and porcelain inlays. Also, the estate was decorated with several doors created for Oreanda according to the drawings of the Stackenschneider.
The first restoration work on the estate was carried out in the mid-1980s, however, they could not significantly transform the place. In 1986, a picturesque staircase with several arbors and grottoes was cut into the rock on which the estate rises, you can go down to its own beach. Means for the restoration of the palace were not found either in the 1990s or at the beginning of the XXI century, then in order to preserve the architectural monument it was transferred to an investor in 2011, who turned the mansion into the stunningly beautiful Kichkine Hotel. The place was completely restored and returned to its original appearance.Today, the territory of the Kichkine Palace is located in close proximity to the sanatorium of the same name, a museum exposition dedicated to Dmitry Konstantinovich Romanov was recently opened on the estate itself.
The building of the former estate is divided into two parts, in one of which the hotel is located, next to it there is a seawater pool. The second part belongs to the museum with the name "Summer Residence of Prince Romanov." The place looks very picturesque when viewed from the side, its snow-white Gothic towers stand out strongly against the background of emerald green cypresses growing everywhere. The eastern side of the palace, where the sea is located and especially the Tsar’s road, serves as a better perspective. Most tourists in these places take photos as a keepsake.
The territory of the ancient palace park is accessible to everyone, it is possible to visit the architectural monument only with a sightseeing tour.
How to get to Kichkine Palace in Crimea
The most convenient way to get to Kichkine Palace is from the Gaspra village. Going on a trip using your own transport, you need to move along the Alupkinskoye highway, passing near the Swallow's Nest, then along the highway move towards Yalta for about 1.1 km. At the end of the path the estate will be visible, a sign is placed opposite its entrance. About 100 meters from the sanatorium there is a parking lot, where you can leave your car.
From the center of Yalta to Kichkin can be reached in just 20-30 minutes.
Other transport also goes to the place, when choosing a bus, they take route No. 132 or No. 102 and go to the Kichkine Palace stop. From it to the architectural monument you need to walk another 100 m on foot. Also from Yalta there is a minibus number 33.
The movement will become more comfortable when accessing existing applications: Yandex.Taxi, Maxim, Gett and Uber.
Kichkine Palace - nearby hotels
Kichkine Palace was created in the pseudo-Moorish style, designed by N.G. Tarasova. This small palace was previously the summer residence of the artist of the Imperial Theaters N.F. Sazonov, after which the Yalta branch of the Society of Russian Doctors was located here. The location of the sanatorium was not chosen by chance - the mild marine climate of the southern coast of Crimea was to become an excellent assistant in the fight against diseases in children. In 1912, the site, along with the building, was acquired by Grand Duke Dmitry Konstantinovich Romanov, who called on skilled architects to turn the cottage into a small palace. The work was completed after about a year, and Dmitry Konstantinovich called the new palace “Kichkine”, which means “baby” in Tatar. The palace stands on a steep cliff, which offers an amazing view of the Black Sea. A beautiful staircase is cut directly through the rock, allowing you to go to the beach, while admiring the grottoes. Today in the Kichkin Palace is the hotel of the same name.
Hotels near Kichkine Palace allow their customers to stay off the coast of the Black Sea, not far from Yalta. The closest hotel to the palace is the four-star Palmira Palace, located in the urban village of Koreiz. It is located on the Alupkinskoye highway, just 500 meters from the "baby". The remaining hotels near the Kichkine Palace are located in the village of Gaspra, west of the attraction. At the entrance to Gaspra, again on the Alupkinskoye Shosse, hotels such as the Rubicon and Europe are located. You can get from them to the palace in 15 minutes of an unhurried walk. Those who wish to save on accommodation can be advised to book a room at the Annie boarding house, which is located closer to the center of the village, two kilometers from Kichkine Palace. Well, demanding customers should pay attention to the Princely Grad Hotel, also located in the center of Gaspra.