On this page you will find the main attractions of Suzdal with photos and descriptions, addresses, phone numbers, location on the map, find out what museums and festivals may be interesting for children, what to see in Suzdal in winter and summer, and from where to start exploring this amazing ancient the city.
Suzdal - a landmark city with a rich history and architecture of the Orthodox center, is part of the classic route of the Golden Ring of Russia.
The Kremlin, churches and monasteries, wooden houses, the Kamenka river - this is what you need to see in the city in the first place.
In fine weather, you can take a stroll along the malls near the Resurrection Church: fairs are often held here in summer and autumn, locals sell fruits, vegetables, preserves and honey, and here you can also find souvenirs and extraordinary handmade gizmos.
Great places for a relaxing rest and walks are the 950th anniversary park of Suzdal, the Kamenka embankment, and you can also ride along the river on a water bus and see fascinating panoramas of the Russian town.
If you are planning a vacation in Suzdal in July, do not miss Cucumber Day. A fun festive fair with round dances, songs and dances is traditionally held on the third Saturday of the hottest summer month. Guests can taste fresh, pickled and pickled cucumbers for every taste and the famous Suzdal mead.
1. Suzdal Kremlin
The core of Suzdal and its oldest part, which supposedly exists from the 10th century. In the XI-XII centuries a fortress was erected here with an earthen rampart and a wall length of about 1.5 km. Inside were the princely court and the episcopal residence. The wooden architectural complex lasted until the beginning of the 18th century, in 1719 all the buildings burned down. The Nativity Cathedral, St. Nicholas Church and the Bishops' Chambers have survived to this day.
2. Theotokos-Nativity Cathedral
The XII century temple, an exceptional monument of Russian architecture, erected during the reign of Vladimir Monomakh. It was rebuilt twice, the last after the Tatars burned Suzdal in the 1440s. Because of this, different parts of the cathedral belong to different centuries: the lower - to the XIII, the upper - to the XVI, the internal painting of the walls - to the XIII-XVII centuries. The southern and western gates of the building represent a true masterpiece of applied art in Russia during the Middle Ages.
3. Wooden Nikolskaya church
The temple stands behind the Bishops' Chambers on the territory of the Suzdal Kremlin. Initially, the church was built in 1766 in the village of Glotovo of the Yuryevo-Polsky district and moved to Suzdal in 1960 for the best preservation of this architectural object. The building consists of two log cabins, mounted on the basement. The gabled gabled roof is covered with plank boards, with a cross with a cross on top.
4. Assumption Church
A small church of the 17th century, erected in the Naryshkin baroque style, presumably on the site of an older wooden building. Until 1917, the belfry and two additional aisles, which were later destroyed, entered the architectural ensemble. In 1958, the building was restored. In 2015, the relics of Arseny of Suzdal were placed in the temple, which inspired Prince Pozharsky to march on Moscow during the Time of Troubles.
5. The Church of the Nativity of Christ and St. Nicholas
Nikolsky summer temple is the first religious building erected after the fire of 1719. It consists of a quadrangle and a semicircular apse adjacent to it on one side and a tent belfry on the other. The warm Christ Church was built at the end of the 18th century. With its appearance, it resembles an ordinary stone house, if not for a poppy with a cross crowning the roof.
6. The earthen ramparts of the Suzdal Kremlin
In ancient times, earthen ramparts were included in the system of defensive fortifications of the Suzdal Kremlin. Nowadays, they are ordinary grass mounds overgrown with grass, which have great historical value, although they do not seem to look special in appearance. Shafts were poured on the orders of Prince Vladimir Monomakh in the XI century to further protect the settlement from frequent raids by the Kazan Khanate.
7. Savior Euthymius Monastery
The monastery, founded in the middle of the XIV century as a defensive fortress. The very first buildings of the architectural ensemble were made of wood, they have not reached our time. The modern appearance of the complex took shape in the XVI-XVII centuries. Large amounts of boyars, princes and kings - Vasily III, Ivan the Terrible, donated to the construction of stone temples. Since 1968, a museum has been located in the cloister buildings.
8. Walls and towers of the Spaso-Euthymius monastery
The walls and towers of the monastery are best viewed from the Kamenka River. They also run along Lenin and Spasskaya streets. It will take time to get around them around the perimeter. These buildings are a symbol of Suzdal, as they immediately catch the eye of travelers traveling through the historic city center. Powerful walls could withstand any siege, but it so happened historically that they were never stormed.
9. Rizopolozhensky monastery
One of the most ancient monasteries of Russia, formed at the beginning of the XIII century. The first stone buildings appeared only after 3 centuries, earlier wooden ones did not reach our days. The architectural ensemble consists of a three-domed Cathedral of the Deposition of the Mid-16th century, two-hipped Holy Gates of the 17th century, Sretensky refectory church and the Reverend bell tower of the 19th century.
10. Vasilievsky monastery
The cloister stands almost on the outskirts of Suzdal. It was founded in the XIII century and at that time was located on the road to Kideksha. At first, the building performed defensive functions, then it was adapted for the life of the monastic community. Initially, the monastery was male, since 1916 - female. In 1920, the institution was closed; warehouses were placed on its territory. Since the 1990s, part of the monastery again belongs to the Russian Orthodox Church.
11. Alexander Monastery
According to legend, the monastery was founded by Prince Alexander Nevsky in 1240. Initially, it was female - natives settled here, remaining orphans and widows after the invasions of the Kazan Tatars. In 1764, the monastery was abolished by order of Catherine II, the main cathedral was turned into a parish. Monastic life was revived only in 2006; male monks replaced the sisters.
12. Pokrovsky monastery
Pokrovskaya cloister appeared in the XIV century in the northern part of Suzdal. She constantly developed and grew largely due to the fact that representatives of noble families came here for tonsure (of course, after donating large sums). By the XVII century, the monastery turned into one of the largest in the territory of Vladimir-Suzdal Rus. Its architectural ensemble was formed by the 16th century.
13. Peter and Paul and St. Nicholas churches
The Peter and Paul Church was erected in 1694 near the Pokrovsky monastery. In architectural terms, it consists of two fours, erected on top of each other, and crowned with five dome heads. In 1712, at the expense of Evdokia Lopukhina, the ex-wife of Peter the Great, a winter Nikolskaya church was built next to him, which differs in a rather modest appearance. To date, both temples returned to their original appearance.
14. Elias Church
The temple is located on one of the steep bends of the Kamenka River. The stone building was erected in 1744, previously its place was occupied by a wooden building, transferred from another part of the posad. The church was badly damaged in the 20th century, the bell tower and the refectory were demolished altogether. Recovery began in the 1970s, but ended only in the 2000s. During this time, it was possible to completely recreate the original appearance of the structure.
15. The Church of Boris and Gleb in Kideksha
An ancient temple, a valuable and rare monument of church architecture of the pre-Mongol era. It was erected in the middle of the XII century during the reign of Yuri Dolgorukov. In the XVI-XVII centuries, the church was significantly rebuilt, completely disassembling some walls, but, nevertheless, retaining many of the original elements. The building was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Nowadays, a museum is located on its territory.
16. Shopping arcade
Empire style guest house, built at the beginning of the 19th century. It was designed for 100 merchant shops, which later turned into full-fledged stores. The complex is the most impressive monument of civil architecture in Suzdal. It is a center of trade and tourist life, as tourists often stop here to buy souvenirs, taste mead or just take a walk along the long galleries.
17. Resurrection and Kazan churches
Not far from the main city square is the Resurrection Church, built of stone in 1720 (originally it was wooden). The building is a two-pillar temple of a cubic shape, its foundation is a powerful quadrangle decorated with angular pilasters. The Kazan Church was built nearby in 1739; together with Ascension, it made up a single architectural ensemble.
18. Tsarekonstantinovskaya and Sorrow Church
The first mention of the Tsarekonstantinovsky temple dates back to the beginning of the XVII century. A century later, it was rebuilt from stone, and it became the last five-domed religious building in Suzdal. The Winter Sorrow Church in addition to the Tsarekonstantinovsky Church appeared in the middle of the 18th century. The architecture of its bell tower is considered quite familiar to Suzdal - the belfry is made in the form of a concave tent.
19. Entrance Jerusalem and Pyatnitskaya churches
Another twin complex, consisting of two churches. It should be noted that the construction of two temples next to them - summer and winter was a very common practice in Suzdal. The appearance of the Entrance-Jerusalem and Pyatnitskaya churches differs very significantly: one is made in the form of a classic quadruple crowned with five domes, the second has only one central dome-shaped structure, mounted on the roof in the form of a semicircle.
20. The St. Nicholas Church
The temple is located in the northern part of the Gostiny Dvor. It was erected in 1770 in gratitude for getting rid of the terrible plague epidemic that raged in Suzdal in 1654-55. The building differs from other churches of the city in that if you look at it from opposite sides, it looks completely different. It seems that you are looking at two different buildings.
21. Lazarevskaya and Antipievskaya churches
Both churches were erected with an interval of one hundred years. According to established tradition, one temple was cold (Lazarevsky), the other was warm, intended for worship in the winter and during the dank off-season. The bell tower of the Antipievskaya church has a very original appearance with a roof in the form of a concave tent and bright exterior painting. It is believed that it was built before the main building.
22. Church of Cosmas and Damian on Yarunova Mountain
An 18th-century Orthodox church built on a low hill on the banks of the Kamenka River. According to unconfirmed reports, previously in its place was the monastery of the same name, from which by the 17th century the only wooden church remained. The construction is located in a very picturesque place and looks spectacular against the backdrop of a winding river bed. Until 1917, the territory was surrounded by a stone fence.
23. Smolensk and Simeonovskaya churches
The Smolensk Church was built in 1706 near the corner of the monastery tower. The construction is located on the road along which travelers get to Suzdal from Yaroslavl. After 40 years, they built the Simeonovsky Church - winter. The bell tower in the classical style was added later - at the turn of the XIX century. Thus, the architectural ensemble does not look like a single concept and carries the features of different eras.
24. Kozmodemyanskaya and Holy Cross Churches
Another ensemble of warm and cold temples, which is located at the maximum distance from the center. Perhaps that is why its architecture looks rather concise, and the restoration has not yet been completed. The buildings were built in the XVII-XVIII centuries, they are visible from the side of the ring road that goes around Suzdal (if you go from Vladimir and Ivanovo to Moscow or in the opposite direction).
25. Museum of wooden architecture
The open-air museum complex, which contains monuments of wooden architecture of the XVII-XIX centuries. On its territory you can see the hut of a peasant and a prosperous merchant, as well as churches built without the use of nails. In addition to residential buildings and temples, various outbuildings are presented: barns, mills, sheds, wells. The museum hosts the summer festival of cucumber.
26. "Schurovo ancient settlement"
The museum, located within the HELIOPARK Suzdal hotel complex, which was created on the basis of the scenery for P. Lungin's film “The Tsar”. It is a reconstruction of the Slavic settlement of the X century. A variety of interactive programs are provided for visitors. Here you can learn archery, ride a horse, do garden work or even milk a cow.
27. Wax museum
The Suzdal Wax Museum grew out of a small exhibition held in the Sokolniki Park in the 1990s. For quite a long time the exposition traveled all over the world and Russia, as a result it settled in Suzdal. At the same time, it is developing; new exhibits continue to be manufactured. Most of the collection is personalities of Russian history: tsars, writers, politicians, military leaders.
28. Posadsky house
Until the 17th century, stone dwellings were rare in Russian cities, since wood was much cheaper and forests were everywhere. Some particularly wealthy citizens could still afford to build stone mansions. One of such structures in Suzdal is the Posad house, built by an unknown architect. In the XVII century it was residential, then a tavern was opened on its territory. Since the 1970s, it has been a museum.
29. Fire tower
Kalancha was erected in the 1890s for the fire brigade, which had been working in the city since 1864. By the beginning of the 2000s, the tower was in rather poor condition. In order to preserve the architectural monument and preserve its functionality, quite serious restoration work was carried out, restoring the original appearance of the tower from the old drawings and drawings.
30. Kamenka river
Kamenka is a tributary of the Nerl River. It is a small and non-navigable waterway about 50 km long, which is very convenient for small river transport: boats, kayaks. It flows through Suzdal, many city attractions are located on its high banks, including churches, walls and towers of the Savior Euthymius Monastery.
Kremlin of Suzdal
The city of Suzdal was founded in the twelfth century. The first steel structures were erected in the place where the local Kremlin is now located. It is from here that the beginning of an amazing place comes. Yes, now there is a museum here, which is called the “Suzdal Kremlin”, but earlier families of high-ranking people lived in this huge building. The city administration managed to save only a few monasteries, but, despite this, tourists will be able to see first hand earthen ramparts and buildings.
The Suzdal Museum is located in the very center of the Kremlin. Here, anyone can see the expositions devoted to the history of the local region, listen to the life of wonderful people who were either from here or who brought some benefit to the region.For example, many visitors are struck by the scenery of the Cross Chamber, they unusually accurately reproduce the culture and the way of life that people had in ancient times. The fact is that this museum part was restored according to records dated to the eighteenth century, and the result can not but cause delight.
Church of the Assumption
The building is located in the Kremlin. The building was made in the Baroque style, which is not typical of all Suzdal architecture in principle. The white stone building was erected at the beginning of the seventeenth century, but this date is just the assumption of several historians, no one knows the exact year of construction. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, she was badly damaged by a big fire, and two hundred years later she suffered the same fate.
Where can I receive guests and treat them with something tasty, except for my home? That's right, in the mall. The construction was erected in the nineteenth century, while at the same time a similar building was under construction in St. Petersburg.
Unfortunately, the guest house has not reached the modern tourist in its original form. Some structures were destroyed, others were burnt. But, despite this, there is something to see. For example, a huge coat of arms of Suzdal rises above a large gate (a clear falcon is depicted).
The main thing is to remember that at almost every step there are tents with numerous souvenirs and liters of Russian mead.
St. Nicholas Church
Nicholas, like the Assumption Church, is located in the Kremlin. Both buildings are located in different places of the fortress: the first in the south-eastern part, the second in the central. The Church of St. Nicholas is summer, usually these are considered churches without their heating system, because of this they do not function in winter, otherwise all visitors will freeze.
The temple was erected in the heyday of Russian architecture in the seventeenth century. The territory also houses a large and bright refectory and a bell tower. A little later, the church of the Nativity of Christ was added to the building. This building is a winter option, and in its type is more like a residential building than a cloister.
Church of the Nativity
Church of the Nativity
The above church is winter. She appeared a few years later than the Church of St. Nicholas. An interesting fact is that not only the refectory, but also the high bell tower adjoins this building.
How many wooden churches survived on Russian soil? You can count on the fingers. The uniqueness of the Resurrection Church is that it is completely made of wood. The shape of the building resembles a small ship with an extended stern. The monastery was built in the village of Patakino, from where they subsequently moved the entire structure to Suzdal. Surprisingly, neither the outside nor the inside of the temple has any excesses: everything is done in a modest manner. The iconostasis was restored not so long ago; the centuries-old fresco of paradise can be seen on the ceiling.
Church of the Transfiguration
Also a wooden church built in the village of Kozlyatievo. The church is under the care of the Museum of Wooden Architecture, being its main exhibit. The main part of the building had a tetrahedral volume, the architects managed to put three octahedrons in turn, the volumes of which decreased as they moved up. The altar of the temple is not inside the building, but only adjoins it with the refectory and two aisles. The Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord belongs to the highest buildings in Suzdal. Many locals like to spend free summer time right at his place, because the view from here opens up simply gorgeous.
Suzdal Zemlyanoy Val
Only a few modern people know why the earthen rampart was intended and what it really is. The earthen rampart is, first of all, a defensive structure that our ancestors used to protect against enemy attacks. Vladimir Monomakh assigned a large role to the preservation of his lands. It was by his order, in the eleventh century, this building was erected. Such ramparts were on the territory of each city in Ancient Russia, but only Suzdal reached us.
Suzdal Zemlyanoy Val
The length of the wooden frame reaches more than one and a half kilometers. From above, all this is reliably fortified with clay, the height of the shaft is nine meters.
There was a long moat on the territory of the Suzdal rampart, but now you can observe only one part located next to the Church of St. John the Baptist.
The mansion of the merchant Agapov
A two-story house was erected at the end of the eighteenth century. The construction belongs to the museum of architecture and belongs to the monuments of architecture of regional significance.
Agapov was an average merchant in Russia; he did not have a lot of money by the standards of wealthy nobles. But he did not want to lag behind fashion, which is why he decided to build a mansion according to the type of merchant buildings. At the same time, the building had two floors, one of them was wooden, it is usually residential, and the second is stone. The house was built, and Agapov moved in there. On the ground floor I located a forge that worked even in the twentieth century, and near the building I built a place for bees and prepared a huge garden for myself, but due to severe frosts the whole earth froze, and I had to make out a small wooden fence and sawn boards for firewood.
House of Merchants Agapovs
In 1905, an underground printing press began to be based on the territory of the forge, which was quickly covered up. Until 1960, the mansion was equipped with a diesel mill, only after a government decree the whole building was converted into a museum of the socialist revolution. The exhibits were mainly posters showing the struggle between the classes of society.
It was built at the junction of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in honor of the icon of the Mother of God. Now the temple has only a copy, and the original is in the Leningrad region. The Orthodox believe that Luke himself painted this picture. But of course there is no evidence of this.
The temple is destroyed and in terrible condition.
They were erected in the fifteenth century next to the Nativity Cathedral. The bishops' chambers are located at a short distance with refectory, residential buildings and a temple. By order of the ruler of Hilarion, in the fifteenth century, all the buildings, which were located on opposite sides, turned into a single chain. This was realized thanks to actions with various stairs and special transitions.
The bishop’s house has a complex architecture and a large volume. At the main hall there is a cross chamber.
This museum includes several important historical sites. Under his roof, he combined fifty-six cultural monuments. The museum exhibits exhibits from Vladimir, Gus-Khrustalny, Suzdal and the villages of Bogolyubovo and Kideksha. This place is notable for the fact that only here you can see first hand various monasteries, cathedrals and buildings of the Kremlin, defensive structures of different years, the first dugouts, mills and much more. Where else can you watch whole historical eras?
The museum was founded in 1954. The Soviet government planned to combine two not very modest museums of Vladimir and Suzdal together. More recently, in 2014, the city of Muromtsevo made a contribution to a historically significant place by providing the estate of Khrapovitsky.
Of course, all the objects of this place are under the strict protection of UNESCO.
Between the central trading square and the Riga monastery, the Lazarevsky temple is comfortably located. Together with the Antipov Church, they make up a slender ensemble. Anyone can easily get to these two temples. From the city center offers an excellent view of the domes of the Lazarev Church.
The church was built in 1687, instead of wooden. The architecture of that time was rapidly developing and did not stand still: it was in the Lazarevsky temple that people were able for the first time to look at new ideas of architects, which later quickly fell to other builders.
What was new? The cornices were made of tiles, the church had five domes, a rustic drum and a lot more. This was enough for all subsequent churches and monasteries to have at least one of these innovations.
Monument to Lebedev
Alexei Lebedev is a famous poet. In his poems he often mentioned the role of the sea in the life of everyone, and also described the existence of sailors. Born in Suzdal in 1912, died at the front in 1941. The monument is located on the territory of the Suzdal Kremlin. It depicts Lebedev in the form of a guy dressed in an ordinary vest, with a slight smile on his face. The statue is made of bronze. Strange this creation of art on the street, oddly enough, Lebedev in 2008.
Each tourist will be able to discover something new, having arrived in the city of Suzdal. Sights will help you to feel the spirit of great architectural monuments or feel like an ancient warrior.
Architecture and monuments of Suzdal
On the streets of Suzdal you can see the beautifully preserved township and merchant mansions, a shopping arcade, original engineering structures. That is why the city was chosen by filmmakers. The Marriage of Balzaminov, Finist - The Clear Falcon, Sorcerers, and many other wonderful films were shot here.
Memorial D.M. Pozharsky
- Address: The territory of the St. Euthymius Monastery. Stop of transport “Square them. Pozharsky. "
The history of the family tomb of the princes Pozharsky clearly shows how short human memory is. Prince Dmitry, who led the militia with Kuzma Minin, expelled the Polish invaders from Russia, was called the savior of the Fatherland. However, not even a century had passed before the tomb of the princely family on the territory of the Spaso-Euthymius monastery was demolished at the direction of the then archimandrite Ephraim. To restore historical justice, the intervention of royalty was required. With donations from the Grand Dukes and funds raised through an all-Russian subscription, the architects erected a marble mausoleum decorated with fine carvings and mosaics. But the Bolsheviks who came to power in 1933 dismantled the unique structure, and the burial place of the prince and his descendants was razed to the ground. The memorial was restored in modern times. In the summer of 2009, the rite of consecration of the newly rebuilt chapel-tomb was held.
Monument to A. Lebedev
- Address: intersection of Lenin and Kremlin streets. Bus stop "Trading area".
The most famous among Suzdal writers is considered Alexei Lebedev. A wonderful marine poet, he wrote many amazing poems singing the sea and the life of sailors. It is possible that he could enter the host of classics of Soviet literature. However, the life of the naval officer-poet, a member of the Union of Writers of the USSR claimed the Second World War. In the summer of 2008, a monument to A. Lebedev was inaugurated in Suzdal. The sculpture is cast in bronze.
- Address: st. Lenin, 45. Stop of transport "Pushkarskaya Street".
Suzdal is truly a unique city! Here, even an ordinary engineering object often outwardly looks like a deep ancient monument. To verify this, just look at the building of the water tower. A four-story brick structure covered with a tented dome would look appropriate in any medieval fortification complex. Today, in a building erected over a century ago, there is a shoe boutique.
Museum "Golden Pantry"
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 400 rubles, children's 200 rubles.
- Address: st. Lenin, 148. Stop transport "Square them. Pozharsky. "
The museum’s exposition, located in the St. Nicholas Church of the Spaso-Euthymius Monastery, is very popular among tourists visiting ancient Suzdal. It presents more than 500 exhibits - real masterpieces of decorative art. Here you can see unique carved stone icons and cameos by the Byzantine masters, silver cult utensils, ancient jewelry, and finest embroidery. The age of some rarities is 1000 years.
Teddy Bears Museum
- Schedule: from Wednesday to Sunday inclusive, from 10:00 to 19:00.
- Ticket price: adult 150 p., Child 50 p.
- Phone: +7 900 477-33-77.
- Address: st. Lenin, 63A. Bus stop "Trading area".
Since 2013, an amazing museum has been operating in Suzdal, a visit to which will delight a child of preschool age. Here is a collection of 80 adorable bears collected by the Katanese couple. Some of the exhibits were brought from foreign trips. The remaining toys were created by the hands of craftsmen of Suzdal and other cities of Russia. The cozy exhibition hall was "inhabited" by Teddy made of vintage mohair and nostalgic plush, sophisticated Chinese silk, natural fur, and modern plastic.
Suzdal is considered one of the pearls of the Golden Ring of Russia. Therefore, to visit an amazing town, in which almost every building of the historical center is an object of cultural heritage, should be every traveler who is interested in the history of the country.
Misha Balzaminov’s house
The old house on Staraya Street was bought back in 1925 by Fedor Firsov from a saddler. His family lived here and a simple but profitable business was established: Fedor pek and immediately sold the kalachi. Things were going well, and his family did not feel the need. In 1964, the Firosvy agreed to provide their home and yard for the filming of The Marriage of Balzaminov. Since then, this house has always been associated with the image of Misha Balzaminov.
Almost all the interior scenes were filmed in the Mosfilm pavilions, but the courtyard and all the buildings are very easy to recognize. Near the house, the film crew built a dovecote, borrowing birds for filming from local boys. Over time, the house became very donkey, which is why its first floor became a basement. The fence was painted in a new way and the platbands were redone, but the building can still be recognized, especially since a sign now hangs on the facade, which recalls that the famous comedy was shot here.
Museum "Schurovo Settlement"
A unique museum will help anyone who wants to feel like a resident of Russia of the past. It contains not only the architectural structures characteristic of the time when Yury Dolgoruky or Vsevolod the Big Nest ruled in the Vladimir-Suzdal principality. The basis was the scenery that was used to shoot the film of Pavel Lungin "The King". On the territory of the museum are wooden huts and dugouts, in which the ancient Slavs, forges, a corral for livestock, a camp kitchen of the prince's squad, and an armory were located.
Here they teach to saddle a horse and control it, shoot from a bow and fight with swords, like Russian knights, and women - bake a loaf in a real furnace. Children will be able to feed rabbits and kids, chat with other pets, find out what games their peers played at that time. Here, reconstruction of historical events, including the famous battles, is arranged. The museum is open only on weekends, it is better to book tours in advance.
This monastery on the banks of the river was founded in 1352. He got his name after his first abbot Euthymius was ranked as a saint. During the Polish-Lithuanian invasion, in the troubled XVII century, the monastery was looted, its wooden buildings burned down. After that, powerful walls were erected around with defensive and watch towers. By the end of this century, it turned into one of the largest Russian monasteries.
Already under Catherine in 1766, political criminals and mentally ill prisoners were sent here. After the revolution, an isolation center for political criminals was located here, then a filtration camp and a correctional labor colony for minors. The monastery received the status of the museum only in 1968 and today it is part of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve.
Monument to Tarkovsky
Is it worth explaining who Andrey Tarkovsky is? The film of this director Andrei Rublev is familiar to everyone. On July 29, 2017, a grand opening of the monument took place in Suzdal, the idea of creating which belongs to Nikolai Burlyaev and Maria Tikhonova. The 4.5-meter composition is installed next to the Savior Euthymius Monastery. The sculptor worked on it for free for three years, and as a result, now this “symbol of association” is an adornment of the city and an important reminder of “what Russian cinema can and should be”.