Alhambra - a monument of Moorish architecture, an incredible complex. The palace, towers, gardens, fountains and, of course, history! Inside there are observation platforms with beautiful views of Granada, mountains and surroundings. It is best to visit in the morning on weekdays, because there are many who wish.
Alhambra (Alhambra) in translation from Spanish means - "Red Castle". The Alhambra is located in the city of Granada. The architectural ensemble of the castle is visible from afar. The red stone fortress merges with the red-brown ferruginous soil of La Sibica hill.
The Alhambra is a grandiose building: a complex of gardens and palaces united by fortress walls. The road from Granada to the fortress passes through a beautiful park along the slopes of the Cuesta de Homeres. The main entrance to the complex is the Gate of Justice, created in 1348. This is a monumental brick vaulted arch, built in the shape of a horseshoe.
Behind the arch are the Wine Gate - Puerta del Vin, then - Piazza de Los Aljibes. Behind this square is the entrance to the palace complex.
The Alhambra was once the political center and residence of the emirs of Granada. The creation of Moorish architects was called the "earthly paradise", "the Eighth wonder of the world." Granada Emirate in the XIII-XIV centuries was the richest state in Spain. During this period, Arab rule in the Pyrenees entered its last phase. The Alhambra Citadel was the last Muslim stronghold on the peninsula.
The construction of the fortress and the palace complex of Nasridov began in 1238, Muhammad ibn Nasr. It was a bold and extremely expensive project. Arab engineers had to regulate the flow of water running from the peaks of Sierra Nevada, so that mountain moisture fed all the palace gardens, ponds, fountains.
The complex consisted of several open palace rooms: Meshuary, Komares and the Lviv Palace, courtyards and gardens with artificial ponds. All rooms were grouped around two main courtyards: Lion and Myrtovy, connected by a passage.
At the Mirtovy Dvor (Patio de los Arrayanes), a solemn and ceremonial look has been preserved today. This is a representative example of Moorish landscape art. In the center of the territory there is a large body of water surrounded by myrtle trees. From the end sides, the site is decorated with semi-arches standing on columns.
On the northern edge of the Myrtle Courtyard stands the Comares Palace Tower with a throne room called the “Chamber of Ambassadors”. The dome of this luxurious room is decorated with patterns of twinkling stars, and the walls are decorated from top to bottom with the finest elegant carvings. The flickering of the inner surfaces is due to the rays of light penetrating through the intricate thread of the inner windows. Stalactites descend from a carved cedar ceiling in a succession.
Meshuar (Mexuar) - the oldest of the palace buildings. It was partially destroyed and redeveloped into a Christian church, so the original decoration was not completely preserved. Especially noteworthy in this building are tiled basement panels and a magnificent belvedere-oratorio. Meshuar and Comares Palace are interconnected by the Golden Room.
The small elegant Lion's courtyard (Patio de los Leones) during the time of the emirs Ibn Nasr was the center of the palace's living quarters. It is surrounded by elegant porticoes, and in the middle of the courtyard there is a beautiful fountain. The marble bowl of the artificial reservoir lies on the backs of twelve stone lions (this fountain was created as an allegorical embodiment of the throne of King Solomon).
On three sides of the Lion's Courtyard there are palace rooms: the Stalactites Hall (Sala de los Mocárabes), the Abenserrachs Hall (Sala de los Abencerrajes) (Long Bearded) and the Two Sisters Hall (Sala de las Dos Hermanas) (women's residence). On the walls of these ancient halls, a magnificent painted majolica has been preserved, the ceilings are decorated with carved knock. In the decoration of cornices and arches used mosaic, colored marble, painted alabaster and ceramics. Complex and multicolor decorative patterns consist of a weave of floral motifs with Arabic script and geometric ornaments.
The architects of the Alhambra had to use the whole arsenal of fine arts they knew, to incorporate all their imagination to create an unsurpassed luxury palace. All the decorative elements of the complex were carefully calculated, but at first glance they give the impression of some irrationality. The excesses and pomposity of the decor suppress the rational beginning. It is not familiar to an outside observer: why do we need all these multiple twin columns and lancet arches, which fill the courtyards in abundance?
In this exaggerated luxury, there is both a deep initial design and practical grain. In the Alhambra complex, everything is organic: stone, greenery, water. Jets of water with thin invisible streams and quite tangible fountains run through marble slabs and flow along the surface of inland waters. There is no mess here - the direction of water movement and the point of impact of the water jets are precisely calculated. Everything has a regular, organized geometric shape: ponds, trees, neatly trimmed bushes. The vertical streams of fountains overlap with the verticals of slender columns.
Nature in the Alhambra
Nature in the Alhambra is controlled, artificially organized - “constrained”, according to observers. Against this background, architecture looks amazingly animated. The walls and arches of the palaces look "alive." Colorful motifs of wall and ceiling ornaments flicker in the rays of light, stalactites descend in many from the arches. The decorative design of the whole complex is subject to a special rhythm, repeating similar elements in different combinations. In the complex of the Alhambra, the Muslim architecture of Spain found its highest manifestation and has exhausted itself, giving way to new values.
Charles V Palace
The palace of Charles V on the eastern side of the Plaza los Alcibes began to be built in 1526, but for several reasons it remained unfinished. The construction was led by architect Pedro Machuca. This palace differs from the surrounding buildings in a pronounced renaissance appearance. Now it houses the Museum of the Alhambra (Museo de la Alhambra) and the Museum of Fine Arts of Granada (Museo de Bellas Artes de Granada). It exhibits a collection of Spanish-Muslim art and a collection of works of art by masters of the Granada school.
Which ticket to the Alhambra to buy?
It is better to buy tickets to the Alhambra Palace in advance, because visitors have limited access.
You can purchase them in various ways:
- buy at the box office on the day of the visit,
- online on the site. This is the best option - save time and definitely get to the palace. You can purchase no more than 10 tickets at a time,
- order by phone +34934923750 from 08:00 to 24:00.
The cost of a full day ticket is € 14,
at night - € 8,
children under 12 years old - free of charge,
Alhambra Gardens only - € 7.
There is an audio guide in Russian for € 6.
Types of tickets to the Alhambra
I advise you to get an Alhambra General ticket for € 14. It includes the entrance to the Alhambra, a temporary appointment at the Royal Palace (Palacios Nazaríes), Generalife Gardens and the fortress of Alcazaba. In short, everything that is, but without an unnecessary guide.
If you want to save, then take a ticket of € 7. It includes the entrance to the Alhambra, Generalife Gardens and the Alcazaba fortress. There is no only a royal palace. This ticket does not have to be bought in advance.
How to buy tickets out of turn or if the tickets run out?
There is a great option to get to the Alhambra without waiting in line, even if the site already has no tickets! To do this, buy the Alhambra Card. It includes:
- Alhambra and Generalife (+ Nasrid Palace)
- Granada Cathedral
- Royal chapel
- Kartuha Monastery
- Monastery of San Jeronimo
- Science Park Museum
- Museum of Caja Granada
- City buses: 5 rides on the local network
Alhambra Palace - the most beautiful of the ever built palace chambers. Its structure retains the features of a classical medieval castle, in which the upper floors were occupied by aristocrats, military and noble citizens, and the lower levels and the courtyard protected by walls were given to merchants and servants. In 1241, Ibn al-Ahmed laid the foundation for the Nasrid dynasty in Granada, calling himself Mohammed I. The Nasrid ruled Granada until 1492. The Alhambra Citadel was built on the orders of Mohammed I.
At the beginning of 1492 came the end of the seven hundred year power of the Moors. The Spanish Christian kings expelled the rulers of the Nasrid dynasty from Granada, who for 250 years considered the city and its environs as their possessions. Nasrid escaped from his palace, the incomparable Alhambra. This "red city" should in fact be regarded as an outstanding architectural ensemble, and not as a separate building.
The first part of a huge fortified complex, Alcazaba (Upper Town), was completed either at the end of the XIII, or at the beginning of the XIV century.
Mejuar, or House of Justice, including the ornate Quarto Dorado (Golden room)were the official premises of the sultan himself. Here, in the presence of officials, he announced laws and decrees. The inscription flashed on the walls of the Golden Room: "Enter and do not be afraid to demand justice, you will receive it."
The Palace of Comares, in which there were residential apartments of the Sultan and his officials, is a real gem of the Alhambra. The vaults of the Embassy Hall according to the Qur'an depict the seven heavens. They are made of cedar with elaborate ivory and mother of pearl inlays. Personal Guard of Sultan Mohammed V (1354-1391) occupied the Lion's Courtyard, an outstanding example of Arabian architecture in Iberia and Islamic style in general. The walls are decorated with scarlet, green, gold and blue tiles. The courtyard with 124 marble columns got its name from the fountain. His bowl is held on the back of 12 marble lions.
The most luxurious room of the palace is the Hall of Two Sisters (Sala de las Dos Hermanas). Its Moorish-style arches are decorated with stalactites, so the ceiling is divided into more than 4,000 sparkling cells. One wall is covered with verses written in gold on the glaze.
The sound of water can be heard anywhere in the Alhambra. The walls of the citadel are full of springs. Sultan Mohammed I decided that there would be plenty of water in his fortress. And obedient architects made water a part of the interior. Filigree jets of fountains are perfectly combined with the glitter of glazed bricks, marble floors and colorful tiles.
The Alhambra consists of four parts:
- Alcazaba Military Fortress (oldest part)
- The stunning Nasrid Palace (last surge of Moorish architecture),
- Generalife Summer Palace,
- The renaissance palace of Charles V.
Between them lies a maze of paradise gardens, which really seem to be the embodiment of celestial cabbage. They captivate the gentle combinations of light, color, sounds and aromas created by babbling fountains, mirror-like surface of ponds, tall hedges and an abundance of fragrant flowers.
The color of the walls of a mixture of red clay and stone gave the Alhambra its name, derived from the Arabic word "red". Once these walls surrounded a small city with four gates, 23 towers, seven palaces, servants' dwellings, workshops, bathhouses, educational institutions (madrasah) and mosques. Many of them have long disappeared, but those that remain continue to bewitch with their magic, as happened with Charles V: having built the imperial palace here, the monarch used it only for ceremonies, and he preferred to live with his family in the Moorish palace more pleasant to him. Due to the enormous popularity of the Alhambra in high season, you can find yourself in a dense crowd of many sightseeing groups. Therefore, it is better to plan a second visit, and come again in the evening, when those elements of architecture that you might have missed during the day are softly highlighted. As for the Nasrid palace, you need to book a tour there and wait for half an hour (try to arrive after 12.00, when the crowd will subside). But in any case, you can soak up the sensual atmosphere of the Alhambra for as long as you want.
From this fortress you can start the inspection. Climb onto the roof of Torre de la Vela to admire the fantastic panorama of Granada, Sierra Nevada and the endless plain (Vega) west. Alcazaba, built in the 9th century, was the first major Moorish building in Granada, although its two front towers appeared only after 400 years.
Palacios Nasaries (Nasrid Palace)
The French poet Teofil Gauthier called this palace an earthly paradise, built for Yusuf I and Muhammad V in 1300. Two of his patios, an exquisite carved stucco molding of ceilings, friezes, capitals and arches, geometric mosaics, fountains and a sense of infinite perspective became the embodiment of the heyday of the Moorish style in Spain. Made of wonderful tiled mejuar (Council Hall) go to the Patio del Quarto Dorado and then to the stunning Salon de los Embachadores (Hall of Ambassadors) in the tower of Comares. This building is crowned with a dome vault, which, according to claim, went over 8 thousand tiles of cedar wood. Pay attention to the workshop stucco walls, beautiful mukarkas (lattice stucco molding of the ceiling, arches and domes)and then admire the wonderful view from the windows. In the Patio de los Arrajanes (Myrtle Yard) one of the best prospects of the Alhambra is presented, which is emphasized by the myrtle bushes on the sides of the reservoir.
From here leads a passage to the Mosarab Hall, which is preceded by the famous Lion's Yard. This rhythmically organized space surrounded by the colonnade is divided into four parts in the traditional Islamic spirit, where the fountain and water channels dominate - the symbols of the four streams of life. The pool, whose rim is dotted with poetic stanzas singing the beauty of the courtyard, garden and the play of water, is guarded by 12 stone lions. The author of these and many other inscriptions in the Alhambra was the chief minister of Mohammed V ibn Samraq.
Around the patio there are three halls of exceptional beauty. Most impressive Sala de las Dos Hermanas (Two Sisters Hall, left at the entrance to the patio) with an octagonal domed ceiling decorated with wonderful mukarnassos reminiscent of stalactites. They are flooded with natural light pouring through the windows below.
On the opposite side, this hall is connected by a water channel to the Abenserrach Hall. It has a high domed ceiling and stalactite arches. Third Hall, Sala de los Reyes (Hall of the Kings), is located behind a cluster of arches. The ceiling was painted by Christian artists hired by Muhammad V. North of here another room leads to Mirador de Daraja above a beautiful courtyard with garden.
From the main palace you can go to the Palacio del Partal, which was probably the first part of the structure. Arched gallery leads to Torre de las Damas (Dam tower), which is reflected in the mirror-like cleanliness of a large pool. Gardens located at different levels at different levels create a bridge leading to the Generalife.
The Generalife building, erected above the level of the Alhambra, was a summer palace. Its main attraction is an elongated pool surrounded by fountains in the Patio de la Asecia, in addition, there are terraced gardens, gazebos and cypress groves, giving a healing coolness even in the summer heat.
In the former royal apartments, there is nothing special to see except the wonderful views, so visit the observation deck of the Mirador de la Sultana at the very top.
At the end of June, musical and dance performances are held in the Generalife gardens.
History of the Alhambra in Granada
On the hill, where the Alhambra is now located in Granada, stood an old-time dilapidated fortress. In the annals, it was first mentioned in 889. Only in the XI century the citadel was attached to the medina - the quarter, which was able to exist separately from the city during the blockade.
In 1238, Muhammad ibn Nasr, Caliph of Granada, chose the Alhambra as his residence. He ordered the palace to be fortified. So the towers of Ommazh and Lookout appeared. Continued by his successors, Muhammad II and Muhammad III. During the rule of the Muslim emirs, the river direction around the hill underwent a change. And in the liberated territory, storage and bath rooms appeared, with the help of which it was possible to wait out a long blockade.
The Alhambra fortress became a real palace and a rich royal residence in the 14th century under Emir Yusuf I, and then his successor Muhammad V. During their reign, the Palace of Lions, new gates and baths were erected in Granada, and the walls were decorated with carved gypsum ornaments.
After the reconquest in 1492, Granada and the Iberian Peninsula were liberated from Moorish rule. And the Alhambra was already transformed by representatives of the Spanish monarchy. In the XVI century, Charles V became the owner of a personal palace built on its territory - for which some of the original buildings were demolished. The ensemble of the Alhambra itself was also damaged, as many elements of the decor were lost or deliberately collapsed.
The desire to exterminate Islam in the form of a palace led to the fact that even decorative plaster was painted over. And one of the buildings was rebuilt into a palace with Italian features. The restoration of the Alhambra left to collapse began in the 19th century. But the result was not too successful.
In the next 60 years, the dynasty of architects H. Osorio took up the peculiar reconstruction of the Alhambra Palace in Granada. But much for the image of the castle was simply invented. Therefore, in the XX century, the restoration architect Leopoldo Balbas needed to correct the mistakes of his predecessors on the basis of a thorough study of historical documents.
What to see in the Alhambra
Today's Alhambra in Granada is an architectural and park complex with a fortress, palaces (they house museums) and gardens. The Alhambra is divided into several spaces corresponding to the stages of its transformation.
The oldest part of the Alhambra - Alcazaba (the name in the Arabic language of the ruler’s fortified city) was initially the residence of the first Caliphs of the Nasrid family. Then it served as the military citadel of the complex, and the caliphs settled in the newly rebuilt palace.
In Alcazab, the towers remained intact:
- The ruined and honorable towers that stand in front of the fort entrance.
- A broken tower, which is so named because of a crack that cut it from top to bottom. In the middle niche of the structure are the nuclei.
- Ommazha - a tower 26 meters high partially served as a prison and a food warehouse.
- The four-story Watch Tower, whose height is 26.8 m. It is decorated with arches installed on the pylons. The bell on its western facade was restored after a lightning strike in 1882.
- Cubic and Semicircular, on which observation platforms are located.
The Armory Square of Alcazaba keeps the foundations of the barracks for the military, the remains of the water tank and the entrance to the prison subway.
La Sabica hill, most of which is occupied by the Alhambra, was inhabited in pre-Roman times. The first fortress was built here by the Arabs, it was called Ilbira (in Spanish Elvira). At the end of IX century. Here the leader of the uprising in the Cordoba caliphate, Savvar ibn Hamdun al-Muharibi, was hiding. This place is not mentioned for a long time - until the XI century, when the dilapidated fortification was rebuilt by Shmuel ha-Nagid (993-1055 / 1056), the vizier of the emir of Granada Badis ibn Habus from the Zirid dynasty. Before the accession of the Nasrid, the Alhambra was simply a fortified quarter (medina). It could exist autonomously from the city: there were the ruler’s palace, schools, craft workshops, etc.
In 1238, Mohammed I ibn Nasr captured Granada, nicknamed al-Ahmar (Red), taking it from the Emir of Murcia, Yusuf ibn Khud, who earlier, in turn, took it from the weakened Almohad. Entering the city through the Gates of Elvira, he occupied Vane Castle. To the greetings of the inhabitants: “Welcome, conqueror by the grace of Allah!” He answered: “There is no conqueror but Allah” - these words (Wa La Ghalib illa Allah) became the motto of the Nasrid dynasty founded by him and are often found on the walls of the Alhambra.
Muhammad I began the construction of the palace, which was continued by his son and heir Muhammad II (1273-1302). Under Yusuf I (1332-1354), the Komares tower was built, with Mohammed V (1354-1359), the Lion's Yard. Alcazaba were highlighted as a citadel and Medina - a residential settlement with the Emir’s palace.
In 1492, Granada was conquered by the Catholic kings, and the Alhambra became the royal residence. Her first alkald (and captain-general of Granada) was appointed Inigo Lopez de Mendoza y Quinones (1440-1515), Count de Tendilla, nicknamed the "Great Tendilla", grandson of the famous Spanish poet Marquis de Santillana.
In the XVI — XVII centuries. the church of Santa Maria was built on the site of the mosque, and the palace of Charles V appeared near the palace complex.
After the accession of the Bourbons, that is, from the reign of Philip V (1700-1746), the Spanish kings almost lost interest in the Alhambra.
In 1812, the French occupation army, leaving, blew up some buildings of the Alhambra. By order of Marshal Sult, explosives were planted under many towers and demolished. There is a legend that the palace complex was also going to be blown up, but the invalid team corporal José García saved him by throwing himself on the gunpowder, and a memorial plaque was erected in honor of his feat at the entrance to Alcazaba from Alcibes Square. But there is no documentary evidence of this event.
In 1821, the Alhambra was hit by an earthquake.
Since the second third of the XIX century. The Alhambra began to attract European and American romantics - writers and artists, in particular, it made a strong impression on Washington Irving, who lived in Spain in 1829-1832, as well as on George Noel Gordon Byron, Francois-René de Chateaubriand, Victor Hugo, Edward Bullwer-Lytton and others.
At the same time, work began on the restoration of the Alhambra, in which the architects José Contreras Osorio (who supervised the work in 1841–1843), his son Rafael Contreras y Munoz (1847–1890) and the grandson Mariano Contreras Granja (in 1890-1910). However, according to modern ideas, their restoration was far from scientific, they proceeded from widely spread and then distorted ideas about Moorish architecture, which even gave rise to the architectural style of “Alhambrism”. Closer to the historical appearance, the Alhambra was returned by the architect-restorer Leopoldo Torres Balbas, the curator of the museum complex in 1923-1936.
History of the Alhambra
At the site of this palace was a dilapidated ancient fortress, the first memories of which were dated 889. During this period, a civil war was fought in the Cordoba emirate. The local ruler was hiding from trouble in the Granada citadel.
The rebellion organizer Muhammad ibn Nasr in 1238 seized part of the government in the state and founded Granada Emirate. He chose the Alhambra as his residence, and he appointed Granada the capital of the new state.
The ruler immediately began to strengthen the castle in Granada. The walls were built, rose Towers: Lookout, Hommage and Heirs of the World. The following rulers Muhammad II and Muhammad III expanded the boundaries of the residence. The riverbed surrounding the hill has been changed. In the vacated place, baths and warehouses were built where one could sit out a long siege.
In the XIV century, Yusuf I and Muhammad V engaged in the global reconstruction of the fortress, gradually turning it into a real palace. At this time, new gates, baths and Palace Lviv. The walls are decorated in oriental style. Subsequent rulers did little to change the beauty of the famous palace. Today in the Alhambra there are a number of attractions that tourists should definitely see.
Palaces of Nasrid (Palacios Nazaries)
Nasrid palaces are considered the heart of the Alhambra. They were rulers of the Nasrid clan. Any of the palaces is unique in beauty. Each emir tried to leave a mark on history, surpassing the capabilities of his predecessor. For several centuries, the complex has grown from sophisticated, refined and beautiful buildings in the world. Conventionally, the Nasrid palaces consist of three parts: Meshvar (Mexuar), the palace of Comares (Comares) and the palace of Lions (Leones).
Entering the palace complex, the visitor finds himself in the most ancient part Meshwar (Mexuar). The name means "the place where the Council of Ministers (Shura) meets." Meshwara consists of several halls and small courtyards. The royal court sat in the first room. The top of the room is decorated with carvings. The beautiful carved cedar ceiling is held in marble columns. The walls are decorated with multi-colored mosaic in the form of arabesques. During the Christian period, the hall was a chapel, but after restoration, it was almost completely restored to its original form.
A small room leads to the hall. It offers a wonderful view of Albasin. Here previously was a chapel. The walls of the room are covered with prayers from the Koran. On the east side of the room there is a niche pointing towards Mecca.
Another part of the Nasrid palace at one time was the official residence of the ruler. It was erected during the reign of Yusuf I and named Palazzo Comares (Torre de Comares). Attraction begins with Myrtle Yard, striking the eyes of visitors with the simplicity of lines and beauty. Inside is a pond 34.7 x 7.2 meters in size, framed on all sides by marble slabs. Water flows from round fountains into it, goldfish swim in the pond. The murmur of water calms the ears of visitors.
Behind the Myrtle courtyard is the highest of the towers - Comares.
In height, it reaches 45 meters. Behind her settled down Hall of Ambassadors. It is the most luxurious premises of the complex. The ceilings with a height of 23 meters are amazing. According to the idea, the Hall was to become the personification of the Universe, which is controlled by the Sultan. The palace is decorated with numerous patterns, stucco molding, Arabic inscriptions, clay carvings.
Palace of Lviv (Palacio de los Leones) - It was built during the reign of Muhammad V. Here the sultan lived with his family. Amazing majestic arches, the play of light and shadow imitate the movement of hanging stalactites. Ancient Arabic patterns are laid out from ceramic tiles. In one of the halls of the Lviv Palace there is a star ceiling.
In the palace there is Lion's Yard, in its center is a fountain with 12 sculptures of lions. On their backs they hold a cup on which verses of the Arab poet Ibn Zamrak are written with praises of the emir. Along the perimeter of the territory are thin, single and double columns. There are pavilions on the east and west sides.
During the caliphate, a garden was built on the site of the courtyard. Women from the harem walked on it.
Passing from Myrtle Yard through an arch with stalactites, visitors enter the Boat Hall. In Arabic, the name sounds like “Sala de la Barca”. Historians claim that the name comes from the word al-baraka, which means “blessing” in Arabic. The walls of the hall are decorated with gypsum stucco depicting the coat of arms of Nasridov. The emblem reads the word "Blessing" and the Nasrid motto "Only the Lord is the winner."
Alcoves lined with tiles are located on the edges of the basement. The columns support scalloped semicircular arches. Mozarabic shells and mucarns act as decorations.
Abenserrach Hall is opposite Hall of Two Sisters. According to legend, all representatives of the Abenserrachs were beheaded in this place. In the center of the hall is a marble bowl, on which there are spots similar to rust. The legend claims that these are blood stains left after the execution.
At the entrance to the hall there are two arches, separated by a corridor. The walls of the hall are decorated with arches, and the columns are blue capitals. The ceilings in the hall are painted. The walls are plaster, decorated with panels with tiles made in the Renaissance style. Above the hall is a cellar of amazing beauty. The windows below the vault create low light and a fabulous atmosphere.
Gardens Partal (Jardines del Partal)
Partal Gardens prostrated from towers of Raud before Lady's tower. Plantations are broken in the form of ledges, they surround the royal palaces. At one time, the gardens served as a walking place for the first persons of the Caliphate. The name of the building is Partal - means Portico, formed with the help of five arches. Their bends are displayed in the surface of the pond, complementing the unusually picturesque picture. Inside the Partali there is a large observation deck.
At the end of Arab rule, the Alhambra region became a full-fledged part of the city, a medina. This included not only a palace with a fortress, but also a residential quarter. In the Upper Alhambra lived representatives of the upper class, artisans who served the complex. The quarter was separated from the citadel by a moat, of which part has survived to the present. The quarter is surrounded by a fortress wall with many towers.
In the XVIII century, the complex was abandoned and gradually began to collapse. In the XIX century, at the initiative of Spanish writers and artists, reconstruction of the fortress began. It was carried out for six decades by a dynasty of artists. Historians recognized it as not entirely successful. In the twentieth century, the architect Leopoldo Balbas decided to correct the mistakes of his predecessors. To do this, he studied historical documents and images of the Alhambra of past centuries.
Currently, the Alhambra is a palace and park complex with a fortress, museums, gardens.
How to get to the Alhambra?
Alhambra Castle is located on the mountain. You can get to it on foot, but a road about a kilometer long will be uphill. On hot summer days, this can be difficult, so you can take bus number 30 from the city to the gates of Justice.
Hours of Attraction
Winter period (05.10 - 14.03):
- daily visit: daily from 08:30 - 18:00 hours,
- evening visit: Friday and Saturday from 20:00 - 21:30 hours.
- daily visit: daily from 08:30 - 20:00 hours,
- evening visit: Tuesday - Saturday from 22:00 - 23:30 hours.
It is worthwhile to take care of the purchase of entrance tickets in advance, since the access of visitors is limited to a certain amount.
Ways to buy tickets.
- On the day of the visit at the box office.
- In online mode. The method allows you to save time. It is allowed to purchase no more than 10 tickets at a time.
- In the telephone mode by the number +34934923750 (08:00 - 24:00 hours).
Types of tickets and access to them:
- Alhambra General. By this type of ticket you can visit all the attractions of the Alhambra fortress.
- Dobla de Oro ticket - Allows you to visit Alhambra General, as well as Moorish monuments in the Albayzin quarter.
- Alhambra and Rodriguez Acosta Foundation. Allows you to visit attractions according to the Alhambra General ticket, as well as the fund of the work of artist Rodriguez Acosta.
- Alhambra Gardens, Generalife and the Alcazaba. By ticket, you can access all the monuments, except for the palaces of Nasrid.
- Alhambra at Night Palaces. By ticket, you can only access at night to the Nasrid Palaces. Access to the Generalife Gardens is not included.
- Alhambra experiments - A night tour of the Nasrid palaces and a day tour of the Generalife Gardens.
- Alhambra at night generalife - A night tour of the Generalife Gardens and summer residence.
- Full ticket for a daily session - 14 euros.
- For a night visit - 8 euros.
- A visit to the Alhambra gardens only - 7 euros.
- Children under 12 years old - free of charge.