Trenchin - one of the Slovak tourist small towns, it rises above a picturesque area above the Vag river, and its main feature is the preserved ancient fortress. Although Slovak tourist operators often bypass Trencin, not including him on organized sightseeing tours in Slovakia, it is worth coming to the old town to see the ancient castle, walk along medieval streets and look at the preserved monuments of Slovak architecture bearing imprints of various historical eras.
The area on which Trencin was built was inhabited back in the Stone Age, and even Roman legionnaires left a trace in the history of the town. In ancient times, the town located on the site of modern Trencin was called Laugarizio, and its memory was preserved thanks to a half-worn inscription on a majestic rock under the fortress walls. In historical documents, the city of Trencin was mentioned for the first time only in 1111, but many researchers argue that a powerful fortress on the site of modern fortification was laid much earlier - even the Hungarian chronicle of 1069 testifies to its existence.
The castle, the third largest in Slovakia, is located in the highest part of the city. It is divided into upper and lower sections and is fortified. The upper part consists of several palace-type buildings surrounding the medieval tower, which is still the highest point of the city. In the hills under the castle is the parish church, to which ancient steps lead to the nearby streets. In the old town there is a large square with a baroque church, a variety of shops and a city tower.
City of Trencin (Slovakia)
Trencin is a city in the west of Slovakia, located between Bratislava and илиilina. First of all, it is famous for its magnificent medieval castle, which is built on a rocky cliff and has been towering over the city for hundreds of years. Trencin is also rightfully proud of its wonderful provincial atmosphere and charming historical streets, on which monuments of the past are frozen.
Geography and climate
Trencin is located in western Slovakia 10 km from the Czech border. The Wag River crosses it from north to south. To the north-west are the Strazhovsky mountains and the White Carpathians. Trencin has a temperate climate with warm summers and cool winters.
Ancient streets of Trencin
- The population is 55.5 thousand people.
- Area - 82 km 2.
- The language is Slovak.
- Currency is Euro.
- The visa is Schengen.
- Time is Central European (UTC +1, summer +2).
- Trencin is easily accessible from Bratislava, Zilina, Trnava.
The surroundings of Trencin have been inhabited since prehistoric times. In the 2nd century AD it housed the Roman garrison. The Romans called this place Laugarizio. On the rock under the castle you can see the Latin inscription, which dates back to 179 A.D. It is considered the northernmost evidence of the presence of Roman soldiers in Central Europe.
Trencin is one of the proposed locations for the capital of the state of Samo. It is likely that Trenčín Castle was founded during the time of Great Moravia. Although the first written records date back to only 1111. In 1241, the castle was one of the most important defensive structures on the path of the Tatar-Mongols.
Between 1302 and 1321, Trenčín Castle served as the residence of Matusz Chuck, an influential Hungarian nobleman who controlled almost all of Slovakia. In 1412, Trencin received the status of a royal city. At the end of the 18th century, the castle and the city were badly damaged by a big fire.
The heyday of Trencin fell on the 19th century and was associated with the development of industry, as well as the construction of the Bratislava - --ilina railway. From this period begins the formation of the city as an industrial center of the middle Povazhye.
Trenčín Castle is the most famous landmark of the city, located on a picturesque cliff. Since ancient times, this fortress guarded the trade routes from Moravia and Bohemia to Silesia and Poland. The castle was founded in the 11th century and is one of the largest medieval buildings in Europe. Initially, it was a residential tower and a rotunda, the remains of which can be seen in the Upper Courtyard. In subsequent centuries, the owners of this fortress significantly rebuilt and expanded it. Trenčín Castle finally lost its military significance at the end of the 18th century. A huge fire that broke out on June 11, 1790 and almost destroyed the city, devastated the castle.
At the bottom of the castle are barracks and a bastion, which testify to the defensive significance of this structure. Near the bastions is the famous Well of Love. A beautiful legend is associated with this well: in the distant past, the lord of the castle, Stefan Zaponsky, captured the beautiful Turkish princess Fatima. One Turkish vizier (or prince) Omar, who loved Fatima, arrived with a load of gold to redeem it. However, the lord of the castle demanded that he dig a well inside the fortress. It took Omar four years to get water from solid rock.
City Tower - a Gothic tower built in the early 15th century. Renaissance gates were renovated in the first quarter of the 17th century. The tower offers a beautiful view of Trencin.
The Mariana Column is a Baroque sculptural composition, built in 1712 by Viennese craftsmen in honor of the deliverance of Trencin from the plague.
Church of st. Francis
Church of st. Francis is considered one of the most beautiful sacred baroque monuments in Slovakia. It was founded by the Jesuits in the 17th century. The church was designed and built in 1653 - 1657 by Italian masters in the early Baroque style. In the first half of the 18th century, the building was restored after a strong fire.
Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Farsky Church)
Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Farsky Church) is one of the most valuable and oldest sacred structures of Trencin. Once the church was part of the city fortress wall, which protected the access road to the castle. The current church was built in 1324 on the site of a religious building of the 13th century. In the 16th century, the building was significantly reconstructed by Italian craftsmen. Throughout its history, the church has been damaged many times by fire. After a fire in 1886 and at the beginning of the 20th century, the building was rebuilt in its present form.
The synagogue in Trencin is considered one of the most significant Jewish monuments in Slovakia. This interesting building with Byzantine and Moorish motifs was built in 1913.
The parish staircase is a defensive passage to the castle, built in 1568 in the Renaissance style. This staircase also served to access the arms depot. This building was damaged by fires in 1708, 1790 and 1886.
The Town Hall is one of the oldest buildings in Trencin, the history of which dates back to 1580. In the 17th century, according to popular legend, it served as the residence of the local mayor, and also served as a prison.
Blessed Virgin Mary Church of the Ascension
Budslavsky church - a headliner of historical attractions of the region. The church was erected in the 17th century in the Vilnius Baroque style using parts of a 17th-century stone church, once consecrated in honor of St. Barbara. An authentic 17th-century wooden altar by Italian craftsmen has been preserved here. But, first of all, the church is famous not for the altar, but for the miraculous icon of the Mother of God.
At the end of the XVI century, the image was donated by Pope Clement VIII to the Minsk Governor Jan Patsu, which marked the beginning of a centuries-old history of miraculous healings. The first miracle was recorded as early as 1617 - vision returned to the five-year-old Iosofat Tyszkiewicz. Every year in June in honor of the icon of the Mother of God in the Myadel region, the Budslav Fest takes place. Thousands of pilgrims from Belarus and neighboring countries travel hundreds of kilometers to bow to the image.
Together with the churches in Pinsk and Grodno, the Budslavsky church is one of the small basilicas of Belarus. Such a status can be granted to the church only by the Pope in recognition of the special role of the church in the spiritual life of the country.
A garden with a territory of 16 hectares is located near the village of Nikoltsy, between the lakes Naroch and Miastro. Those who cannot distinguish fir from cedar need to go - here you can see about 400 species of plants characteristic of various parts of the planet: from Siberia to South America. And it is impossible to resist this triumph of colors and calm, slow beauty. You will surely take long, very long walks along well-groomed paths and small wooden bridges, enjoying smells and flowers.
Calvaria is an architectural composition dedicated to the cross of Jesus Christ.
Calvaria in Maddel is among the ten most famous in Europe. In the legend of "Myadel Jerusalem" there was a place for accident, murder and ghost. She talks about how much the owner of the town of Old Myadel Anthony Koshchits wanted a son. His heir appeared only after Anthony brought the relics of St. Justin from the Vatican. But on one of the walks, the nanny Bronislava could not keep track of the boy and he drowned in the lake. Distraught with grief, my father ordered Bronislava to be immured alive in a pillar, facing the lake. Further, according to legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to Anthony and pointed to the place where, in atonement for sins, Anthony was to restore the way of the cross of Christ. So in the XVIIІ century the Myadel Kalvaria appeared, in the vicinity of which the ghost of a nanny still roams.
Recently Calvaria in Madel has been restored. 14 stages of the procession (stations) were restored, each station of which is a small chapel. The path ends on a high hill with three crosses, symbolizing the place of the crucifixion of Jesus and the two robbers. This hill is an excellent observation platform with a view of the lakes Myastro and Naroch.
The pharmacy garden near the village of Gatovichi was created following the example of medieval monastery gardens. St. John's wort, valerian, motherwort, echinacea, lavender, sage, sakura - these are just a small list of medicinal herbs that grow here.
Forget the notorious “do not touch” warning. Here, plants can be touched, sniffed and cut off the tops. Of course, without fanaticism and with the permission of the guide.
In the phyto-living room you can not only taste tea compositions, but also try to create your own tea recipe yourself: an experienced herbalist will help you with this. There is a hut of a herbalist here. Take a look - grandmother will tell you the future.
With souvenirs in the Pharmacy Garden, everything is easy and simple - in the phyto-shop, ready-made herbal teas and fees, cosmetics, and infusions for the bath are sold.
Until recently, extremely little was said about World War I in Belarus. But in vain. Many military operations on the eastern front radically changed the course of history. As, for example, the Narochanskaya offensive operation in the winter of 1916. It is believed that this operation "saved France", although, at first glance, it was a failure. At this time, the main forces of the German army were concentrated in France. Because of the offensive on the eastern front, the Germans were forced to transfer 4 divisions to the Belarusian lands. As a result, the onslaught of German troops on Verdun significantly weakened.
Verdun battle - military operations between French and German troops in northern France near the city of Verdun in February-December 1916. For huge human losses went down in history as the "Verdun meat grinder."
What does the hill "Height 217" near the village of Pasynki have anything to do with the Narochansky operation? This place became one of the places of defense, where the line of the Russian-German front passed. Nowadays, only a few bunkers rooted in the earth remind of war here. And climbing a mountain, especially on a rainy day, can be difficult. But the lack of a normal tourist infrastructure is more than compensated by the stunning view of the three lakes: Myadel, Miastro and Naroch. Landscapes of the "breathtaking" category in Myadelsky district go "in the dark" to any attraction. And from "Altitude 217" they are especially good.
TRINITY CHURCH IN THE VILLAGE
Immediately after the Trinity Church in Zasvir, there is a German cemetery from the First World War.
The Trinity Church in Zasviri is the rarest architectural monument of the Sarmatian Baroque for Belarus. Such churches in Belarus once, twice - and miscalculated. Or one, two, three - and it turned out to be meticulous: there are temples in the "Sarmatian Baroque" style in Kletsk, Novogrudok and Mikhalishki (Ostrovets district).
The church was attached in the 18th century to the barefoot Carmelite monastery already existing here. During the uprising of Kastus Kalinovsky in the basement of the monastery, it was ordered to keep captive rebels. However, the Zvir monks took pity on the prisoners and one night brought them out. The Russian authorities did not put up with such willfulness and handed over the church to the Orthodox Church immediately after the uprising was suppressed.
After the peace of Riga and the annexation of Western Belarus to Poland (in the "Polish hours"), the church was returned to the Catholics. In the 1920s, Kazimir Svoyak, a Belarusian poet and public figure, served as a priest here. The priest principally conducted services in the Belarusian language. A frequent guest in Zasvir at that time was Yazep Drozdovich - a poet, artist and sculptor, often called the Belarusian “Leonardo da Vinci”. Today, services are held in the church, but only ruins remained from the monastery buildings.
ECOTROPA “BLUE LAKES”
The natural complex “Blue Lakes” includes about a dozen reservoirs: the Stracha river and numerous lakes of the Balduk group. Lake Balduk is one of the deepest in Belarus. Its depth is 46 meters!
The ecological route passes through the Stracha River and three lakes: Glublu, Glubokka and the Dead. Hlyblya is famous for its bluish-green hue of water, but in Lake Glubjka, water from the bottom has not been mixed with the surface for several thousand years.
The trail is divided into 2 routes: 4 and 7 km, respectively.
Lovers of mysticism are clearly interested in Dead Lake. According to legend, the Vikings buried the dead soldiers here - hence the name. The reality is more prosaic. At the bottom of a deep lake, hydrogen sulfide is concentrated. However, contrary to the name, there is still life in Dead Lake. Small fish live here, in the coastal zone there are a lot of water lilies.
ILOVSKY FRUIT CANNING FACTORY
Anticipating your sarcasm. Yes, the Ilovskoye enterprise produces, among other things, fruit and berry wines. And yes - production can be accessed as part of an excursion group. Is it worth it? Worth it! After all, the plant dates back to the 1830s - from the distillery of Pan Okushka, and in the 19th-century building made of rubble stone, a blending shop is still operating.
Since then, the production of alcohol in these parts has stopped only once - during the anti-alcohol campaign of the late 80s of the last century, better known as Gorbachev’s “dry law”.
The management was not at a loss, bought Italian equipment and, along with juices and fruit purees, the company launched the production of chip plates. And today this historical confirmation of resourcefulness can be found in shops of the Minsk region. Like, in fact, the plant’s products, there are unusual items in the lineup, such as wine from blueberry juice “Nara”, and more recently, Calvados has been produced in Ilovo. Yes, the same drink that Remarque sang in the Arc de Triomphe.