The Poultry cross is a market cross in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, marking the site of former markets. Constructed in the 14th century and modified in the 18th century it stands at the junction of Silver Street and Minster Street. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed structure.
The Poultry Cross is the only one remaining of four market crosses that once stood in Salisbury. The others were the Cheese Cross in the present Cheesemarket area, Barnard's Cross (livestock) at the junction of Barnard Street and Culver Street and another which designated a market for wool and yarn at the east end of the present Market Place near the War Memorial.
The presence of a market cross on the Poultry Cross site dates to 1307 and the name to about a century later. The present stone structure was built in the late 15th century. The original flying buttresses were removed in 1711, as can be seen in the painting of 1800 by JMW Turner, the present buttresses date from 1852–4, when the upper parts of the cross were rebuilt to the designs of the architect Owen Browne Carter.
The present-day site is used as part of Salisbury Market on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Photo and description
A few blocks from Salisbury Market Square, at the intersection of Silver and Minster Streets, is an unusual monument - Bird's Cross (Poltricross). This medieval building used to be used to designate a covered market, of which there were four in Salisbury. Only the one that was erected in front of the market where they sold poultry and agricultural products has survived. The Cheese Cross in the current Cheesemarket area disappeared, Barnardcross - a market cross erected in front of the livestock sales point at the junction of Barnard Street and Culver Street, and a monument marking the wool and yarn market in the eastern part of Market Place near the war memorial.
The bird cross was erected in 1307, and got its name about a century after that. The stone structure that we see now dates from the end of the 15th century. It consists of a central pillar, on the pedestal of which you can sit, and an arched arbor erected around it. A pillar rises above the arches of the structure. The original buttresses of Poltricross were shot in 1711, which can be seen in the 1800 painting by Turner. These buttresses are dated 1852-1854, when the reconstruction of the upper part of the monument was led by architect Owen Brown Carter. Then the upper part of the column was modified: it was crowned with a small spire with a cross.
Poltricross is now part of the Salisbury market, which operates on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Near him there are always many tourists.
- poultry cross salisbury & # 149
- poultry cross salisbury photos & # 149
- poultry cross salisbury location & # 149
- poultry cross salisbury address & # 149
- poultry cross salisbury & # 149
- poultry cross salisbury & # 149
- Other interesting places in Salisbury:
Foursquare © 2019 Lovingly made in NYC, SF & Chicago
Users usually check in at this time:
You will also like
World's oldest working clock
"Amazing! Tucked to side of Salisbury Cathedral"
The church of st. Thomas becket
"Very friendly working woman in this church, ready to talk for free about the church and its history. In English of course."
"La arquitectura es espectacular y vale toda la pena"
Places People Walk After Poultry Cross
Salisbury market square
"I love this city such a lovely vibe to it and a great place to meet. Market day veggies are a steal too"
The Kings Head Inn (Wetherspoon)
"Chicken gourmet burger is amaaaaazing! Goes so well with a hangover: D!"
Old george mall
"pretty decent mall in the middle of nowhere. great covered adjoining carpark. walking distance to the cathedral and museum"
The spire of the cathedral (123 m) is the highest in England, and the cloister is the longest.
The clockwork at the cathedral is considered the oldest of the working hours. The watch was created back in 1386. Their feature is that they do not have a dial - before, time was designated by the sound of bells.
Another reason for pride for local residents is that one of the four surviving copies of the “Magna Carta”, a document that has become the basis for the Constitution of the kingdom, has been preserved in the cathedral.
In addition to the Salisbury Cathedral, there are several ancient churches in the city: the Church of St. Martin, the Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury, the Church of St. Edmund and others.
Church of Saints Thomas and Edmund
Church of Saints Thomas and Edmund, fresco "The Last Judgment"
The gloomy three-nave church, consecrated in honor of Saints Thomas and Edmund, is no less popular with tourists than Salisbury Cathedral. A huge medieval fresco is stored here, which by some miracle has reached our time, only having lost the brightness of colors. Perhaps this was facilitated by the fact that in the era of the Reformation, it was painted over, and for several centuries it was hidden from sunlight and non-professional restorers. The fresco depicts the scene of the Last Judgment. Since the church was supported by guilds of artisans, at their request, an unknown artist portrayed among the sinners only the nobility and the clergy, but not the merchant people.
Tourists can also admire the old stained-glass windows and see the symbols of the city guilds that patronized the temple in the past.
Since 1981, the Salisbury Museum has occupied the rooms of the Royal House - a mansion built in the 13th century as a court of Sherborne Abbey and renovated in the 15th century. It is very likely that it was in this house that King James I and his wife Anna stayed in 1610 and 1613, which is why the building was called Royal.
The museum's collection tells of the early and medieval history of Salisbury. Here you can learn more about the times of Old Sarum, as the settlement was called the predecessor of the present Salisbury, about the era of the reign of the Romans and Saxons. In the museum's halls there is a collection collected by archaeologist Pitt Rivers, porcelain dishes made in famous English factories, a selection of historical costumes, lace and embroidery. There is also a collection of watercolors on which you can see how Salisbury looked several centuries ago.
Church of St. Martin
The three-nave St. Martin Church is located on the south side of Milford Hill Street east of the local cathedral. During architectural surveys conducted in the temple in 2003, three Saxon children's burials were discovered under the altar, which led to the conclusion that the temple was probably on the foundation of an earlier church. Most likely, it was rebuilt in the XIII century, when the construction of the Salisbury Cathedral began. The tower was added in the XIV century, and the spire and nave were transformed in the next century, as a result of which the church acquired its current appearance. The internal situation underwent significant changes during the reconstruction at the beginning of the 20th century. A few years ago, the western part of the temple was covered with a glass dome.
The sights of the church include a stone font dating from the 13th century, bright stained glass windows of the last century, an organ from the second half of the 19th century, and several carved tombstones.
Sarum College, Cathedral Close
The cathedral school from the last century occupies the premises of the magnificent former episcopal residence, which is located next to the Salisbury Cathedral. This building was erected in the 13th century and was gradually being completed, therefore it is notable for its heterogeneous architectural style.
The Salisbury School was founded in 1091 by St. Osmund. In those days, she was still in Old Sarum (Old Sarum) and was intended for the training of choristers. From the fourteenth to the eighteenth centuries, the school was housed in a building known as the House of Chorists. Over the next several centuries, training took place in a mansion specially built for these purposes in the northwestern part of the Cathedral quarter. Finally, the students were given a more spacious and comfortable bishop's palace. In total, 250 children are enrolled in the school. The youngest schoolchildren are only 3 years old. They will leave school at age 13. Many children live right at this educational institution.
A beautiful example of Queen Anne architecture. The old house of Mompesson Hause was built for Charles Mompesson in 1701. It is known for its graceful interiors, beautiful 18th-century furniture and a charming walled garden.
Arundell - This is the former home of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Edward Heath, who lived here from 1985 until his death in 2005. The house and the extensive park are open to the general public five days a week from late March to late October (weekends - Thursday and Friday).
Arundell was built in the 13th century for the canons of Salisbury Cathedral. In 1517, the local canon Leonard Bilson was accused of witchcraft and imprisoned. After that, the house began to be surrendered by the church authorities to wealthy citizens, including Sir Richard Mompensson and John Wyndham, who rebuilt most of the house in the classical style. After Wyndham, the house was inherited by his daughter, who married the sixth Lord Arundell, in whose honor the house got its name.
Luxurious estate, which is about 500 years old. Beautiful interiors of the palace, pay attention to rare paintings by Rambrant and Peter Bruegel. You will also be surprised to see the sled. They belonged to the Russian Countess Vorontsova.
I just don’t want to leave the garden, it’s so beautiful.
You will like the house, there are many rooms, the family still lives in it and some parts of it are inaccessible, but this does not prevent you from spending a lot of time with your family there, taking a walk in the forest zone and sitting on the river bank.
Poltricross (The Poultry Cross Salisbury)
In the Middle Ages, four covered markets operated in Salisbury, where certain types of goods were sold. Each market was marked with a special structure - a cross, which was installed in front of the entrance to the trade pavilion. Of the four markets to this day, only one has survived - Avian. It works only a few days a week. In front of him is the Bird's Cross - Poltricross, which is not built in the shape of a cross, but rather resembles a column, which is supported from all sides by an open gazebo. This structure is completed with a spire, over which you can see a small crucifix.
Poltricross was built at the beginning of the XIV century, but that original construction has not survived to our time. In the XV century it was demolished and replaced with a new one - the one that is now gathering enthusiastic tourists around itself.
Witch Cross Map
- Types of tours
- Last minute packages
- Sea holiday
- New Year tours
- Skiing tours
- Island Tours
- Exotic tours
- Wedding Tours
- Rest in the suburbs
- Vacation with children
- Corporate vacation
- Railway tickets
- Early booking tours
- Tourists reviews
- About hotels
- About cities
- About countries
- About travel agencies
- About airlines
- About airports
© 2003 - 2019 Tourist Information
Attention. All materials and prices posted on the website are for reference only and are not a public offer, determined by the provisions of paragraph 2, Art. 437 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation.